Help with Daiwa Coastal 153h and bearings in general, please?

Started by Padre, June 07, 2013, 10:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Padre

I'm working on my Daiwa Coastal 153h, and i'm a little confused with the bearings, which to oil and which to grease. From what i've gleaned from here is to oil "high-speed bearings" and grease others. I'm so new to this that i'm just not sure which ones qualify as high speed. Obviously the two spool bearings, but which others? Is there any easy way to tell (other than experience) when looking at reels which ones are which? I also have a couple of Citicas and Curados i'll be doing after i finish the Daiwas.

Here's a schematic, if that helps.

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/albums/userpics/CL153H.pdf

Also, some of the threads i've read here about lubricants are older than others, and i'm wondering what the general consensus (if there is such) is now about which oil is best for the high-speed bearings. How much do you use, and are there any other tips to making sure they're properly lubed before you close the reel back up? Sorry to ask so many questions.

Thanks, y'all!

kevin

Bryan Young

Grease 77 and maybe 38 if its not contacting the spool. All
Others oil.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Padre

38 is the one I was unsure about. The spool shaft's cross pin fits into a groove in the end of the pinion(?), 48, and that sits inside bearing 38. So it should get oil also, right?

Bryan Young

If that bearing is supporting the gear and not the spool, I'd grease it. If ou are in doubt, oiling it will not be a bad thing as well.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Padre

Thank you, Bryan. You've been very helpful. Any suggestions on which oil and how much? I found some CorrosionX in town, but its on the aerosol can. Can't find the squeeze bottle.

Bryan Young