Penn International 80 converted 2 speed by Ray Lemme!!

Started by TheReelShop, April 22, 2018, 04:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheReelShop

So this took an unexpected turn.

I got this reel from my brother in law to service and upgrade. I took it apart and like an idiot, I placed the pieces in degreaser with no water. Within 30 minutes, it was stripped!!! ouch. I told him i'd find a way to have it re-anodized. I inquired around and the aluminum was too bad to re-anodize. So I ended up having it stripped and coated with duracoat. Theres pitting, but if I had known, I would of bondo'ed it and then had it coated. Turned out great and the material so far seems to be able to withstand the beating.

This is how it looked after I took it out of the degreaser. Crappy crappy mistake. Or maybe not lol.

Here are the pieces coated in a satin silver!!!!

AND ASSEMBLED!!!

34-36lbs of drag at strike right at the brink of freespool/no freespool, and 41-44lbs at full.

addedd a bellville and went from ()() to ((()), changed out to Carbon fiber drags and got a max of 40lbs at the brink of freespool/no freespool and 53-55lbs at full.

Enjoy!!

gstours

Thanks for sharing your pictures and stress.  You did good.👍👍.  Tell us more about duracoat.  It's a good option for some of  us unfortunate folks.   Great fishing 🎣

Gman_WC

I think it looks great. Tell him he has the worlds first International Monofil. 
In the past I've used high heat engine paint on firearms with great success
depending on the objects material make up.
Also you have Wonder Blue and like produsts. https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/metal-prep-coloring/metal-bluing/liquid-cold-bluing-chemicals/gun-blue-black-kits-prod27174.aspx
But that's getting out there in a much darker color.
;D

-gary
Walnut Creek, CA

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Tightlines667

Nice save on the coating!

I had a similar mishap recently...

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=24680.0

A 2-speed conversion and an over-the-top blueprint to boot, I am sure your brother will be happy with the results.  I assume you achieved those drag numbers with the stock carbon fiber drag and drag spring, standard/unmodified cam (19H-80), and standard/unmodified Bellevilles (18-80W)?

This reminds me, I have a bin full of old beat up 80 and 80W parts that I ought to see if I can make a full reel out of one of these days.

Thanks for sharing!

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

TheReelShop

Quote from: Tightlines666 on April 22, 2018, 06:45:11 PM
Nice save on the coating!

I had a similar mishap recently...

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=24680.0

A 2-speed conversion and an over-the-top blueprint to boot, I am sure your brother will be happy with the results.  I assume you achieved those drag numbers with the stock carbon fiber drag and drag spring, standard/unmodified cam (19H-80), and standard/unmodified Bellevilles (18-80W)?

This reminds me, I have a bin full of old beat up 80 and 80W parts that I ought to see if I can make a full reel out of one of these days.

Thanks for sharing!

John

LoL just saw you post. We basically had the same issues. The reel initially came with old asbestos. I sourced the CF drags. The bellvilles are in fact 18-80W washers.  unmodified cam. I honestly thought I could get more drag.

Let me know if you need any kind of help with regards to the coating. I had a guy down here do the work. My suggestion is that when the reel is stripped, you should or it should be bondoed or expoxy filled, prepped and then sent for coating.

handi2

Quote from: TheReelShop on April 22, 2018, 05:47:36 PM
Quote from: handi2 on April 22, 2018, 05:27:05 PM
Was it the purple stuff?

Haha yes it was

I did the same thing with a mix of the purple and water in an ultrasonic cleaner. Never again. All i use it for now is for greasy towels and laundry.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

TheReelShop

Quote from: gstours on April 22, 2018, 04:11:39 PM
Thanks for sharing your pictures and stress.  You did good.👍👍.  Tell us more about duracoat.  It's a good option for some of  us unfortunate folks.   Great fishing 🎣

The reel has yet to be taken out fishing, but I had to tear down the reel several times to get it right. Seems to be doing good in that sense. I accidentally dropped a plier on it and no damage whatsoever. I believe it will be good as long as it's maintained like any other reel would.

[/quote]

I did the same thing with a mix of the purple and water in an ultrasonic cleaner. Never again. All i use it for now is for greasy towels and laundry.
[/quote]

Never again

TheReelShop

Quote from: Gman_WC on April 22, 2018, 04:31:53 PM
I think it looks great. Tell him he has the worlds first International Monofil. 
In the past I've used high heat engine paint on firearms with great success
depending on the objects material make up.
Also you have Wonder Blue and like produsts. https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/metal-prep-coloring/metal-bluing/liquid-cold-bluing-chemicals/gun-blue-black-kits-prod27174.aspx
But that's getting out there in a much darker color.
;D

-gary

I'm going to take a look at it.. thanks!