Stainless Newell Gears

Started by Dawn, June 06, 2013, 02:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

Dawn,
3-500S is a fine thread bridge for a Jigmaster. The 500S does use regular 500 gears though.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Dawn asked me to check these gears out, these will fit the Newell, the Jigmaster 505 and Jigmaster 500/501, that I'm showing here.
The Jigmaster 500 will need a little customizing to make them work.

While I was at it, I also decided to test Bryan's 5+1 drag kit.

At holding I got 24lb, there was a little more, but I didn't want to push it all the way

I pulled the line out and run, as Bryan suggested, the scale registered about the same and the line peeled off smoothly
I also did some retrieving tests by just turning the handle while pulling a wagon with some weight.
With the star almost all the way tight, the scale  registered 15lb. Ones it got rolling, the drag was nice and smooth.
If any of you would like to install these gears in the Jigmaster 500, you'll need to use the stock tension spring from Penn.
If you would like to use the Belleville instead, you'll need to shave the plate just a little, I used a Belleville similar to the one that came with Bryan's kit, mine is a little smaller in diameter.

You will also need to drill the bottom of the pinion so it will fit over the right side bushing, don't worry about doing so, most of the stress on the pinions is at the notched area. Dawn could actually ask the machinist to enlarge the bottom of the pinion,  other reels mentioned won't be affected by it.
The Newell gear has a built in washer at the bottom, if you're using these in a Jigmaster, you will need a shorter spacer sleeve

Here is a shot of the drilled pinion

Dawn, to me the gears did great and everything looked good afterwards.
Bryan, your washers did really good, I like them. The washer under the main gear was undamaged, maybe related to that built in washer under the gear :-\
I hope this is of some help.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bucktail

Good info there.  Thanks Sal. 8)
Just a jig-a-lo

Newell Nut

Sal
What is the gear ratio on these new gears?

BMITCH

Great report Sal, I'm liking the drag stack. Thanks for keeping us updated.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Alto Mare

These are the same gears that Dawn is showing on the first picture by the first page, 5:1 ratio.
I really like that reinforced Stainless ring on the pinion, do all Newell's have those? It's twice as tall as Penn's.
Nice craftsmanship on the gears, the only thing that I've noticed was that the pinion could have used a little more cleaning on the inner side, I used a little ss wool and they are nice now.
I've already mentioned this to Dawn.
Another thing I want to mention is that these gears are made perfectly, the pinion engages on the Jigmasters spool shaft without any movement, the 505 has very little movement.
The ID on the main gear is also cut perfectly, the gear is just a little loose on the brass sleeve and I mean very little.
On the stainless steel sleeve it fits nice and snug.
I did have an issue with one of the stainless steel sleeve, the gear wouldn't fit. after taking some measurements I've noticed that Alan's Stainless sleeve are not the same.
Alan, you might want to check on those.
Again, these gears are cut perfectly, maybe that's why :-\, I would still check the gear sleeve that you have though.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Newell Nut

The ring on the pinion varies in Newells and I don't know why. The wider ring ones seem to work the best. I say this because on a couple of very well used Newells that I have worked on have a little tic tic noise when in free spool and it comes from the pinion and it has always been one with the narrow ring. I have replaced them with the wider ring pinion and it goes away.

Dawn

Thank you Sal, great report.

Black Pearl will have the stainless Jigmaster / Penn 500 gears soon, so no modifying will be needed for those.

Gear ratio turns out to be 4.8:1 on these Newell gears.

Dawn
Dawn

Joel.B

So will this set from Dawn work in 505/506 and Pro-Gear 251 w/o any modifications needed? 

Bryan Young

Quote from: Joel.B on July 22, 2013, 06:11:51 PM
So will this set from Dawn work in 505/506 and Pro-Gear 251 w/o any modifications needed? 

I believe so since the PG 255/251 uses the same size gear sets as the 505/506.

Sal,

Thanks for the test and update.  The under gear drag washer, which one did I provide you?  The CF or the Delrin/Teflon one or both?  or did you use an HT-100 CF drag washer?  Please let me know.

Whoa, 24#, that's great.  makes it perfect for a 60# braid reel or even 80# backing with 40# topshot.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Quote from: Dawn on July 22, 2013, 05:06:16 PM
Thank you Sal, great report.

Black Pearl will have the stainless Jigmaster / Penn 500 gears soon, so no modifying will be needed for those.

Gear ratio turns out to be 4.8:1 on these Newell gears.

Dawn

Not a problem Dawn, I'm always available for you ;D.

Yes, you're right about Alan C gears.

Guys it doesn't make sense for us to customize these gears for the Jigmaster 500, we should wait for Black Pearl's gears.
I believe those are 5:1 ratio, either way they shouldn't have a much noticeable difference.
Sal

Alto Mare

Quote from: Bryan Young on July 22, 2013, 06:35:21 PM

Sal,

Thanks for the test and update.  The under gear drag washer, which one did I provide you?  The CF or the Delrin/Teflon one or both?  or did you use an HT-100 CF drag washer?  Please let me know.

Whoa, 24#, that's great.  makes it perfect for a 60# braid reel or even 80# backing with 40# topshot.

Bryan
You sent both Bryan. The washer that I used was the carbon fiber washer.
Nice upgrade Bryan, I'm sure those will fly off the shelf. Now go make me some for the Squidder.
Sal

Bryan Young

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 22, 2013, 09:34:17 PM
Quote from: Bryan Young on July 22, 2013, 06:35:21 PM

Sal,

Bryan
You sent both Bryan. The washer that I used was the carbon fiber washer.
Nice upgrade Bryan, I'm sure those will fly off the shelf. Now go make me some for the Squidder.
Sal
Hi Sal,

I've got those designed.  I just need a squidder, long beach live bait, and other reels that use that washer configuration so that I can determine the thickness of the washers.  Then I have to wait for the funds...

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

Bryan

Have you given any thought to how this drag stack will perform in the Newell old 4 stack drags? I think I will do my test in one of those. Any thoughts or concerns?

Bryan Young

The 4 stack will perform in the same manner. The difference is the under drag washer sits on a stainless steel washer instead of the ratchet of the gear sleeve. That is how we discovered to use a cf washer instead if a bushing in this location. The 4 stack drag system was really more of a marketing thing than anything, I believe.