okuma makaira 50 II rebuild - 2/16/2010

Started by alantani, February 17, 2010, 08:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReelTight32

Alan,
I have a couple 50W ATD's and the drag cam on them does not really allow me to effectively "chunk" and strip line out with 3-4lbs of drag. I set them at 25 lbs at strike and as soon as I put the drag at its minimum, it is over 9 lbs. tough to hand line feed chunks while yellowfin fishing or even creep a lure back in the troll spread without going all the way to free spool. So my question after all of that is...is the Makaira better set up for a wider range of drag on the cam? I am looking at an addition to the collection and really like what I am reading on the Mak 50W

alantani

it's all a function of the shape of the cam.  the interesting thing about the accurate is that you can pull the cam and file it down..  you have to get it right the first time, though.  if you file it down to much, it will have to be replaced. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Reelcozzi

I have the MK50II narrow version and used it for sharking in the NE last season. If I set strike at 35lbs the first ~2+" of drag is very gradual and will do what you want. From position 3 to strike (~1") there is a steep increase in drag. This can be a little tricky when you want to back off the drag under pressure. If you drop down below position 3 this can result in a backlash - don't ask me how I know. My Tiagras are much more foregiving in this regard but there is no doubt the Makaira has superior cranking power and a smoother, more powerful drag.

JGB

X2 on the drag curves. On the MK10,20, 30 the drag curves are  very shallow between free and #1 position and gets steep after # 2 to striike and shallows out again between strike and full. The MK 50 is a larger capacity than your ATD 50.
What I am finding is that if you set strike near max spec the drag will be 1-3# when you bring the lever back half way between free and #1. There will always be some drag until you hit free. This works out very well as it is easy to let line out without back lashing the reel. The other thing is the MK holds the settings and are easily adjustable between free ans #1 position. No fear of the reel jumping into free spool by accident.

In regards to the Accurates the cams are significantly different between the older models and the newer ones. I don't know if the newer cams will fit the older models. A call to Accurate might shed some light on this. If you do decide to modify the cam the area just out of the free spool detent notch is the area you will need to modify. Lower it and take the steepness out of it and do it symmetrically to both sides (it is a double pin cam). You will need to do a lot of trial and test to get it just right. Check with Accurate to make sure replacement cams are available just in case you over do the mod. You can also adjust a step in it so the 'pre free spool' has a flat area with a fixed setting or you can notch it so you will have a detent for that position to make it easy to locate during use (I feel all reels should have a detent for this position and some do have a button for that).

Jim N.

fifis101

What is the clicker like on these reels?

I do a bit of land based shark fishing and during long nights I sleep near my reel.
The Tiagras have a good loud clicker and wake you up no problem, what about these?

Also, I like to fish with reel with about 14kg at strike.
While I'm waiting for a take, I like to keep my drag with only a couple of kilos
This is nice and light but still stops the current pulling out line.

Will I be able to do this with this reel?

alantani

fifis101

The guys that are wondering about the steep drag, why don't you just get the TDC (tournament drag cam)?
I got the drag curves sent to me directly from Okuma US and they look almost identical to the Tiagra's.
I know the Australian model comes with the standard (steep) drag cam installed and the TDC included in the box.

mohamedhashem21

i have got a makaira 50wii today i don't know ho to adjust the drag cam properly , i.e: straight of the box even if the cam on 6 position the drag is very low that if the clicker is engaged the spool don't move except on strike position and more , on 7 & 8 positions the drag is much larger but also weak !!! i tried to torque the cam one more round but i lose free spool on 1 position, can any one help me with that

alantani

leave the lever in the free position and then spin the spool.  while the spool is spinning, gradually turn the preset knob clockwise until the spool stops, then back it off about 360 degrees.  now gently push the lever forward and measure the drag.  figure out what drag you have and what drag you need and adjust accordingly.  can you get a scale, measure the drags and let us know what kind of numbers you get? 

mohamedhashem21

thanks alan for your quick reply :) , i've done this, the spool stopped spinning at 4 position where the drag lever was very stiif so i was afraid to destroy the bearing  i backed the knob of 360 degrees so it's on 4 again , the drag is weak , bus does this 4 means the first position (1) and when the spool stops this is (8) (maximum drag with free spool) ? if this is true, i won't be able to move the drag lever on maximum drag..

alantani

can you fine a preset position that will give you 25 to 30 pounds of drag?

mohamedhashem21

thanks alan for you reply, i dicovered where the problem is, the drag increase is not gradual concerining the lever or the preset cam , i get most of the drag when the lever is between 3 and strike, and there is a grat difference between 6 and 7  and between 7 and 8 , i've contacted the tackle shop and he told me that this way , every thing functions properly , he told me that if i need a gradual increase for IGFA lines, i shoul get a tournament drag cam which is not available here in egypt he told me he will check with the distributer if he can get me 1 , but regardless this issue , this reel is exceptionally amazing , really well built with smooth drag and powerful cranking :)

thanks alan
mohamed hashem

alantani

mohamed, i hope things are quieter in alexandria than they are in cairo.....   :-[

mohamedhashem21

actually thngs are much quieter in cairo and alexandria than what t.v announces , pro morsy protesters are very few now, about a thousand or two , the army protects them and protects the public facilities from them , all the people in egypt support the army to keep the country safe , this is  not a millitary coup this is a revolution, btw i'm from cairo not alexandria :)

alantani

where ever you are, just stay safe.  and if you can post photos of these events safely, i'm sure we would all love to see what is going on in your country from a first person perspective.  i would never try to interject politics into this humble website.  it's just that the events unfolding in your country right now are of historic proportions.