okuma makaira 50 II rebuild - 2/16/2010

Started by alantani, February 17, 2010, 08:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mohamedhashem21

thanks alan for your concern :)
tis video is taken from an aeroplane on june 30 for the revolution:

things are quite now after morsi is gone but just some few people from the brother hood are protesting till now and the new government is negotiating with them and the army protects them

mohamedhashem21

back to the reel drag :

i'm really confused !!!!! ???
i tighten the preset knob untill i lose free spool , the preset at that time is on 4 position and i have compelete free spool at 3 about 50 seconds , should the 3 be the max drag preset position or the 8 before it (anticlock wise) !!!
at the 8 before it i can't get 60 lbs at strike as the reel is said to have but i can get it on the 3 position after the 8 (clock wise direction)!!

mohamedhashem21

and can anyone who have makaira 50 please tell me the drag numbers at different preset positions??

alantani

i finally figured out which numbers you are talking about.  the numbers on the preset dial do not indicate a specific drag amount.  they are merely there as a reference.  they could just as easily be letters or random symbols.  you simply need to note the pounds of drag at those settings and keep a note of them somewhere.  they should be consistent, day to day when you are fishing. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mohamedhashem21

thank you very much alan , now i get 60 pounds of drak at strike on number 2(preset)  and stil have free spool(more than 50 seconds) then tish will be my maximum drag preset??

alantani

that sounds very high.  can you set the drag to 30 pounds at strike, then measure your full setting and tell me what that is?  i would normally not ever recommend a 60# strike setting on one of these reels. 

mohamedhashem21

thanks alan :)
i won't ever set drag to 60 on strike i was just testing the drag ability to wxert the listed drag i'll fish 130 lbs spectra with 120 lbs mono topshot so ithink my drag setting will be in 30 to 40 range at most , and i'll test the drag on full and i'll let you know :)
but sorry i don't understand why don't recommend 60# at strike for this reel  , is it beacause the reel itself or normally don't make this with any reel??

i don't even think that any body can put 60# on a fish as the hook will be pulled and knots must break down

mohamedhashem21

i saw some guys on youtube fighting a hammerhead with makaira 80w with 103 lbs of drag and it was still pulling line the until the knot slips so i think these reels are capable of standing the stated drag numbers or what do you think?? however i'll never do this.

search for  (Okuma Makaira 80w in MAX DRAG)    on youtube.

mohamedhashem21

do you think that the reel components and frame can't stand this large drag force?

alantani

the reel might be able to handle this load,  i don't think the fisherman could, at least for very long. 

mohamedhashem21

thanks alan , i'll never try 60 pounds of drag on a standup :) i don't want to get pulled overboard :)

mohamedhashem21

ghello everybody
i've tried this reel on BFT up to 400 lbs without problems up to 45 lbs drag was applied and the drag was very smooth and stable but after i checked this thread to service it and do some lubrication i noticed that the thickness of the right side plate is very thin compared to the left one or to any other reel , does this thickness make any difference or any problem i recently baught a penn 50 vsw it's great too but a bit heavier , but the thickness of both is the same.

alantani

it should work fine.  the plates just need to not shear under a load.  i will be going to puerta vallarta in a week.  the drag at strike for these reels will be 35 pounds to start. 

mohamedhashem21

Quote from: alantani on March 11, 2014, 06:48:33 PM
it should work fine.  the plates just need to not shear under a load.  i will be going to puerta vallarta in a week.  the drag at strike for these reels will be 35 pounds to start. 

good luck alan :) be strong for this drag :)

tacklerat

Hi guys,

very informative reel breakdown Alan.Have recently bought a 50w and 80w here in australia and also will have my eye on the std 50 once I have used these a while. Mine won't be going anywhere near saltwater until they have had the royal treatment like you have shown. The dry bearings were a real eye opener for me. I have been a tld,tiagra man in the past but really like the feel of these and their compact design in the bigger sizes so I decided to give these a chance.After reading your reviews on these it helped me to make up my mind.

Here in australia guys are reluctant to try something that are not proven and most boats will have tiagras or a similar proven reel on them. Okuma australia also offer a lifetime warranty too which is pretty special.Also found it interesting that the MK SEa model was so well prepared for use straight out of the box too,cheers.

regards tacklerat