Brand new JX 6/4

Started by cubanaso, March 13, 2015, 04:07:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cubanaso

Hello all,

I recently picked up a a brand new JX 6/4.  This will be fished with short flouro leaders and live bait.  I would like to have exceptional freespool to get baits away from the boat easily. 

What can I do to get it up to par and fish to the best of its potential?

Pack bearings with Yamaha marine grease?  All but spool bearings right?  Are there two?

TSI 321 for spool bearing?

Also, should I avoid overgreasing anything?  Worm gear, two speed mechanism?

Looking forward to opening this reel up and seeing what I can do!

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for having a look!

Andrew

alantani

open and clean the spool bearings, lube them with TSI 321 or TSI 301.  pack the non spool bearings with grease.  i like yamaha engine grease. grease the drag with cal's grease.  make sure you get the edges of the drag.  it's glued to the spool and you don't want salt water creaping in underneath. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

cubanaso

SoCalAngler

I'm not sure how Avet ships the JX's now but my 6/3 came with open spool bearings around 10 years ago. TSI on my spool bearings and the spool spins over a minute now full of line.

Keta

I don't think I've seen a closed spool bearing on a Avet, sometimes one side is shielded.

One thing I do when I get a new Avet for pre use servicing is to pull the pinion bearing and grease the sides of the hole it goes in, and do not forget to grease the drag washer.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

cubanaso

6/3 that's  right....

If it does have one side shielded should I leave the shield should I leve the shield in place or pull
Both?  Also, does it matter which way the open side is facing?

Thanks

Keta

The shield should face out.  Removing it will give you a slightly better spin but you will have to service the bearings more often.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mike1010

I've had two SX and two MX series Avets.   All had sealed spool bearings from the factory.

Bryan Young

The spool bearings are normally shielded on the outside and open in the inside.  I remove the shields because the shields will hold in moisture that can lead to bearing failure.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D