what to use clean stubborn reel parts

Started by davidht36, June 15, 2013, 12:04:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidht36

I am servicing a few pretty old penn international reels for a friend, looks they have never been serviced till  now. What do you guys use to clean off all the dried up grease?  I have a spool bearing stuck to the shaft that a cant get off.

harryk3616

hi    david            i have a glass rectangular bowl with wd40 , i soak and wash my parts with a stubby acid brush.  you will get at least 10 different solutions the guys use, i buy the wd40 in a gallon can at home depot.  if it's really tough grease  ,i use a very fine wire brush in my dremel, the wire  brushes i got on ebay, pack of 12.   hope this helps, there will be more postings to follow from other members.    harryk

harryk3616

dave      when the wd40 gets old and yucky, i pour it in a rigid plastic soda  bottle using a small funnel, wipe out the bowl and pour an inch of fresh stuff and keep going.

triumphrick

I, too am a fan of wd-40.

I use it in my parts washer, and have been known to leave reels in there overnight with the pump on and the spray nozzle filling a container I place with reel parts in it. It overflows into the washer and gets pumped back through again...

For the stuck bearing...I use an ultrasonic cleaner with mineral spirits and some mild heat applied...

Then rapping the sideplate hard onto a countertop helps to dislodge it...

Ron Jones

On the hardest gunk I am a big fan of Hoppe's #9. Works on guns and reels!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bryan Young

Wd40. Good solvent for the price if you buy it in the gallon.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Traccer

What does everyone think about boiling parts that can be boiled.. IE metal..  I've had real good luck about it getting that hard dried up lubes and then clean with a cleaner and toothbrush 

Norcal Pescador

A 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF (automatic transmission fluid). Dunk the parts for about 10 minutes then massage with a toothbrush. Or just dip the toothbrush and scrub away. Low odor, not too harsh.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Dominick

Quote from: Norcal Pescador on June 29, 2013, 03:24:16 PM
A 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF (automatic transmission fluid). Dunk the parts for about 10 minutes then massage with a toothbrush. Or just dip the toothbrush and scrub away. Low odor, not too harsh.

Don't smoke around the acetone. 
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Pescachaser on June 29, 2013, 03:47:51 PM
Quote from: Norcal Pescador on June 29, 2013, 03:24:16 PM

Don't smoke around the acetone. 

Don't smoke around any chemicals. Better yet, don't smoke. :-\   Unless it's a good cigar. ;D
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

JGB

I use a witches brew for the tough stuff. Left over brake and carb cleaner (I collect it when cleaning bearings) mixed with lacquer thinner, kerosene, ATF fluid and WD40. It will quickly release rust and melt that thick crust PENN grease thats 20 years old. Keep in mind that this will attack many plastics and paint. Use it mainly for gears and nasty side plates. Totally reusable - let it stand a couple of days till it clears and save the clear stuff and toss the sludge. Replenish with the run off from bearing cleaning. Works good on wheel bearings.

I also hear that BIODIESEL is an excellent cleaner and relatively easy on your skin as well as a good lubricant.

Jim N.

Alto Mare

Hello Jim, nice to see you here, you should visit more often ;D.
I've been using this stuff to clean bearings and dried-up grease for two years now and wouldn't use anything else.

When I first mentioned it here they made funny comments about being a tool cleaner.
I would really like for you to give it a shot and let me know what you think, I could treat you ;D.
Squirt this stuff on an opened dirty bearing, no need for brushes, and watch that baby spin.
I purchase mine at Home Depot, it's about $3.50 a can.
Take care.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Unutt

I know I am getting in late, but this is my favorite parts cleaner.  It was a watch parts cleaner the first 50 years of it's life.  Only recently did it get re-purposed to clean reel parts.  Lots-O-agitation.

mike
So many reels, so little time.

Bryan Young

That looks cool.  Would love to see a video of that in action.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

sharkman

I am a firm believer in pure white vinegar and soft bristle brush on metal parts and orange based cleaner on side plates. Vinegar makes chrome like new.