5+1 Drag Stack for Penn 500/501 reels

Started by Bryan Young, June 15, 2013, 05:49:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug

Hi Bryan Great work be careful. If you get these for sale I would take 3 sets for my 501's and 112h doug

Joel.B

That looks/sounds awesome Bry

bring me a set on Friday -  ;D

pleeeeeeaaaaaaase ?

Bucktail

I want to see the video of Bryan running through his yard holding a fishing reel with the line tied to a tree. ;D
Just a jig-a-lo

Bryan Young

Quote from: Bucktail on June 18, 2013, 05:46:08 PM
I want to see the video of Bryan running through his yard holding a fishing reel with the line tied to a tree. ;D
Yeah...  I was getting stares like this guy is nuts...look he caught a tree...hardy har har.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

Quote from: john2244 on June 15, 2013, 03:03:22 PM
Hello Bryan,

How is this different from what you have done in the past with a 5 stack in your PG 251 ??  As I remember your spool had some flex and rubbed on the frame.  I did the same 5 stack in my PG 255 and did not have the flex because the narrow spool. I tested my 255 to 22 or 23# of drag(too much for that reel).  I later took out the 5 stack and went back to the 3 stack because the drag came on too quick.  Don't the JM reels run the risk of damage with too much drag ???  Seem to me 12# of drag is more than enough for any Jigmaster reel, stock or with an after market frame.

John

Hi John,

I forgot to mention, on my PG255, I added a Belleville washer and cut down the spacer between the Belleville and the star and it ramps a lot slower. I'll pull the spacer once I get the 7 remaining reels on my plate done. If I can find another spacer, I'll cut one down for your along with a Belleville for you to try out.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 16, 2013, 12:17:12 AM
Bryan, how did the washer under the gear do? Mine are showing signs of shredding at around 25lb. I will be pushing a 6/0 as far as I can and see what happens to that washer.
Aaron ran some tests at 25# and saw similar compression that could lead to spreading. For this, Aaron decided to go with a plastic bearing material, like Delrin.

Newell Nut

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 20, 2013, 08:30:52 PM
Yeah...  I was getting stares like this guy is nuts...look he caught a tree...hardy har har.

I get the same stares when I tie to my hitch on the Tahoe to test drags and feel a new rod bend. Kind of like feeling a huge grouper on the bottom. The Tahoe does not give an inch.

Bunnlevel Sharker

Quote from: Newell Nut on June 24, 2013, 10:35:29 AM
Quote from: Bryan Young on June 20, 2013, 08:30:52 PM

I get the same stares when I tie to my hitch on the Tahoe to test drags and feel a new rod bend. Kind of like feeling a huge grouper on the bottom. The Tahoe does not give an inch.
Lol that's how I'm gonna test my stingray setups......tied to the back of the yukon. I hope this works out for you guys, my only use for a jigmaster is kayak fishing.....and 25lbs and the right fish be like a motorboat tow
Grayson Lanier

Shark Hunter

I really get some funny looks when I'm trying to reel in a boxer in the back yard with my 12/0! :D
Life is Good!

RowdyW

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

BMITCH

Quote from: Shark Hunter on August 24, 2013, 01:47:00 PM
I really get some funny looks when I'm trying to reel in a boxer in the back yard with my 12/0! :D

Your getting funny looks because a 12/0 is overkill for a boxer. Maybe the tank would be more sporting ;D ;D
luck is the residue of design.

kmstorm64

Hi Bryan,

I put the 5+1 kit in, and now I have less than 1 lb of drag.  This reel is an older reel with bakelite side plates that Alan had worked on a few years ago. It has his SS gear sleeve and I just threw the Pro Challenger  SS kit in as well.  Alan had previous removed the Bellevile washer.  Would this cause the lack of drag or would I need an extra drag disc?  Thanks
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

Ron Jones

Bryan's kit is pretty thick, but it is possible that it is thinner than your old drag and that you are not compressing the stack enough. Bellvilles, flat washers or using the thick factory keyed washer on top will get you going (assuming this is the issue.) The other thing you can do is get a longer spacer sleeve.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Quote from: kmstorm64 on July 06, 2014, 10:51:08 PM
Hi Bryan,

I put the 5+1 kit in, and now I have less than 1 lb of drag.  This reel is an older reel with bakelite side plates that Alan had worked on a few years ago. It has his SS gear sleeve and I just threw the Pro Challenger  SS kit in as well.  Alan had previous removed the Bellevile washer.  Would this cause the lack of drag or would I need an extra drag disc?  Thanks
Put one of these on top, I personally wouldn't ever go without it
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/8-60.aspx
If you're ordering one, get two. If you're still not getting to max put another tension spring under the star and that reel should be good to go.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.