NEED HELP UNSCREWING HANDLE SCREW

Started by pcde123, June 20, 2013, 05:20:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pcde123

so i have a penn peerless andi tried to open up the right side plate but i cant manage to open the handle screw, i eventually ended up buying the special wrench and it still wont budge, anyone have any tips? ialready know the your supposed to turn it left but for some reason its not budgeing

alantani

it should be a 23-60 handle screw.  it's a right hand thread so it comes off counterclockwise.  it will come off.  it's gotta!   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Norcal Pescador

A few drops of WD40 or penetrating oil then let it sit for a day and try again. One good reason for lightly greasing screw threads.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

locknut

I have had a really hard time getting the tork drive handle screws off some of my Okuma reels. (I like to take them off when flying  to reduce the risk of damage) They have a type of thread lock gunk on them. I thought they were going to break. I used my small 12v Milwaukee impact driver to very slowly back them out. It worked a treat.

Cone

Heat may help. I take an electric soldering gun and use it to heat screws where I'm afraid of damaging plates etc, with a torch. YMMV  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Ron Jones

I have found the scrubbing marine grease into the area between the nut and handle with a stainless brush normally nocks the crud out and lets it spin. Did it last night as a metter of fact.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

pcde123

go it open with a special wrench that my dad had, took ALOT of force but its opened up, had alot of crude on it, do yall know any good house hold de greasing solutions

Ken_D

Hi. When they get as rough as you are indicating,  you can use something like kerosene, or paint thinner.
Pour some in a disposable container, like an old marg. tub, ice cream pail, etc. Place parts in solution, and use a dollar store paint brush to remove the grease.

The folks that advocate simple green, or some such, must have tons of time on their hands, as, when I tried it, a week later, the grease was still on the reel. When I went to brush, the grease clogged the bristles. So I let it soak.  Then on the next one,  40 seconds with the brush and the kero, I was clean.

Shark Hunter

I had a 6/0 that was like that. It was so tight that it warped the sleeve. I don't know if I did it taking it off or if it was done putting it on. I use brake cleaner and a brush to clean the old grease off of mine.
Safety Glasses are a must here, but it gets it done quick.
Life is Good!

Norcal Pescador

Another good all-purpose solvent/degreaser for reels is a 50/50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid. It took me a while to try it, but wow it works. Low fumes, not too harsh. Soak parts for a bit, apply toothbrush action and wipe dry. :) :)
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD