Newell 200/300/400Series,Penn112H&Jigmasters,&ProGear 255/251 5+1Drag - $29

Started by Bryan Young, June 20, 2013, 08:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RowdyW

Sal, why would you need a Jigmaster to pull 29# of drag? Are you trying to turn it into a shark or marlin reel. I think it will be a little short of line yardage even with braid. If I want that much drag I just bring out my 4/0 or 6/0. If I really want to put the brakes on a fish I use the 9/0. Right now I'm waiting for my 12/0 to arrive. I can see using CF drags & 5+1 drags but to ramp them up beyond reliability doesn't make sense to me. That's just my opinion. To each his own. My philosophy is small reel, small bait, small fish.... big reel, big bait, bigger fish.... monster reel, monster bait, monster fish.... or so that's my thought (but not always right).  ;D  I wouldn't want my fish of a lifetime on the line and be worrying if the reel might disintegrate right in front of me. If bigger reels are to heavy its time to eat your Wheaties or get off the porch.  ;D ;D ;D          Rudy  8)

Alto Mare

No Rudy, you need to go back to my original post " testing some jigmasters gears ". I know which reel to use for the job when I need one and I believe others here do as well.
When I got to 29lb it was what the inserts and my cut outs were putting out, I was simply testing how far these gears would go and they did great by the way, almost double than stock.
At the end of my test I said that the jigmaster with those upgrades would be able to handle 15 to 18 lb. I believe that is a great improvement for a jigmaster or a 112H.
I also mentioned it here above , on the second page nine down.
I've noticed that you have lots of comments on what we've been doing, you've mentioned a few times that you've been using penn's just as they are and never had problems, yet I always see you purchasing stuff for upgrades that we've been recommending around here :-\.
Later pal.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

Guys, here's my two cents. With the micro/braided lines of today the reels of old(stock penn's) just don't put put as much drag to support the super braids of today. IMO that's really what I'm doing with the upgrades and such. Just a thought.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

RowdyW

Sal, I never said that I use them just as they are. An upgrade to a stronger frame is not trying to get something out of a reel that it was not built for. I don't know what "upgrades" you think I am doing but the ones I am doing are to reinforce what is already there. My brass sleeves are holding up quite well but I do have some reels with s/s sleeves. The s/s sleeve for the LB & 113 (black) are sure needed above all others. As far as upgrades for more power beyond CF drags & 5+1 drags where have I ordered those parts? My Penns & Daiwa Sealines are just being made more reliable. As far as asbestos & wood fiber drag washers in 3+1 setups they are junk. CF & 5+1 setups do not overstress the reels. I have nothing against your experiments to see when you can break a reel. But if one gear breaks at 30# of drag does that mean that all the others will hold up continuesly at 29#?  By the way I've been using these upgrades before joining this forum. Since joining this forum I have used s/s dogs & a 5+1 washer setup for my 9/0 Sealine. The rest I have been doing for a long time.

Alto Mare

Quote from: RowdyW on June 29, 2013, 10:12:30 PM
  The rest I have been doing for a long time.
You're showing your age Rudy ;D
I noticed you've purchased Black Pearl's gears, I believe I can change your mind on the 1+5 with the 114H Hex cut.
I let you know how they'll work out in my $80 114HLN.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

RowdyW

I forgot about that one Sal. I've got a 114HLW w/Tib. frame & Accuplates  that I might just want to update the drags on. I already ordered the 114 gears from BP but I might wait for a set of hex gears for my 114hn w/tib frame but for that one I would rather have the original gear ratio.       Rudy

floating doc

Quote from: BMITCH on June 29, 2013, 09:37:56 PM
Guys, here's my two cents. With the micro/braided lines of today the reels of old(stock penn's) just don't put put as much drag to support the super braids of today. IMO that's really what I'm doing with the upgrades and such. Just a thought.
Bob
My 112HN is planned for a jigging reel for 65 lb braid. I will be using it in Florida for bottom fish, so I don't need to have a reel that holds 500 plus yards in order to get 20 lbs of drag. I would also lose the retrieve rate that I need to effectively work a jig if I try use a 6/0.

A big reel isn't going to balance on a the new lightweight,  high power jigging rods either.

Valid points on the "big reel, big fish..." etc.  but braid changes the game.
Central Florida

Doug

Hi Bryan  I want to thank you for the work on the 5 stack drag kit. I got mine on Saturday and installed it in a tricked out 501 . The 501 I have has all the ss parts I can find thanks to Alan, Lee and Dawn and I picked up a set of accurate 4 to1 ss gears , trib frame and new handle. The kit installed without any issue direct fit. I am glad I used a fine threaded gear slieve . the new drag is much much smoother than the stock drags. this is a really good improvement. I had a chance to use the reel this week end but the fishing wasn't to good with all the rain we have been getting here in the East coast. I will say that the drag advances very quickly small adjustments to the star give you a lot more drag, so the fine thread works real well . Thanks again please post when you get some more in stock   Doug

Bryan Young

Thanks Doug. Im glad the worked out for you. Now you just need some fish. :) 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

I just received 30 more complete drag kits (carbon fiber and metal washers) and 10 replacement carbon fiber only kits.

Cost is still $27 shipped and the replacement drag kits are $12 shipped.

The replacement kit only has a cf under gear drag washer and no teflon/delrin washer. I couldn't get the carbon fiber replacement kit with the teflon/delrin washer.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mbg60

Mahalo Bryan.  Got my parts today.  Thanks for the quick shipping.

Bryan Young

You're welcome.  Now time to change out those drags and slay some fishy. :D

franky

Hello Brian,

Okay, so the CF washers have to be thinner to accomodate the 5:1 stack height.  Can I use the same metal washers? or do the metal washers also have to be thinner? 

Bryan Young

Quote from: franky on July 03, 2013, 07:25:18 PM
Hello Brian,

Okay, so the CF washers have to be thinner to accomodate the 5:1 stack height.  Can I use the same metal washers? or do the metal washers also have to be thinner? 
Aloha Franky,

The CF washers are SmoothDrag's thinnest.  The metal washers are about half as thick as stock...maybe thinner.  this is how we are able to get 8-9 of the washers (carbon fiber and metal) in the gear.  The last 2 are questionable due to the variation in the gear depth of Newell Gears.  But even if the last 1-2 washers sit on above the ende of the gear, the last eared washer will sit in the gear.  This is important.

Bryan

joel8080

Bryan

I recevied the drags & washers there great real smooth, now to try them in combat for the ultimate test.

Joel 8080
Oceanside,California