Shimano Baitrunner 6500B Drag Problem

Started by handi2, July 01, 2013, 08:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

I have this reel to repair and have never gotten completely inside the baitrunner series of reels. What usually caused the reel no have no drag and no drag adjustment. The spool drag has no effect and the baitrunner drag has no affect. This may help me before I get into the reel.

Thank you,

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Cone

Keith, the with the baitrunner feature engaged the reel will not give much drag. If you disengage the baitrunner does the spool turn the shaft? I would check that first. disengaged the shaft should not turn.
If it doesn't check the drag washers the felt washers may be shot. BTW there is a great tutorial just above this post.   Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

redsetta

G'day Keith,
Bob's got you on the right track.
If the spool shaft is turning when the baitrunner is disengaged, check the pawl (#3041) is moving properly.
Corrosion of the clutch arm (#3007) and/or salt/grease/crud build-up can sometimes prevent the pawl from fully locking-off against ratchet (#3033), and thus the main drag can't engage.
Let us know how you get on.
Good luck, Justin
PS Schematic here if you need it: http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishing/SAC/techdocs/en/Saltwater_Spinning/02BTR6500B_ARB_v1_m56577569830617591.pdf
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

handi2

Thank you all for the response. Yes the shaft is turning thus no drag at the spool. I already cut the new drag washers for the spool and will get into the reel now that I know what to look for.

Thanks again,

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL