Penn International 80sw rebuild

Started by Capt. D, August 29, 2012, 11:57:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. D

I am working on an old 80sw rebuild and have come across some head scratchers. 

1: I was replacing the clicker as the old one lost the head on it.  I'm wondering why when I engage the clicker now, I only hear it when it's in freespool.  As I apply the drag, it moves the spool just far enough away from the button to silence it.  Is it possible the new "replacement" clickers from the new Penn, are slightly different from the old original?  I've torqued the nut down as far as it will go and it's still a little short...

2: I notice when the pre-set knob is all the way backed off, (no drag at all) there's a nasty grind.  Now this goes away when I set the knob to normal tolerances, but that nasty grind seems to be trying to tell me somethings not right.  I suspect it's the main gears teeth slightly passing the pinion and rubbing on the clamshell washers?

...any of these issues familiar to anyone...?

Thanks,
  Daniel

alantani

there are probably several lengths for the clickers. check with mysticparts.com.  the grinding is likely the spool against the gears that goes away as the spool is pushed to the left.  if it's ok at the drag setting you want, leave it.  again, spacing problems. it worked at the beginning.  something changed somewhere.  
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Capt. D

I wanted to update this....
The problem ended up being a severly worn click plate...  I was chasing my tail with the clicker itself and there were deep grooves preventing the new one from touching.

Thank you for the reply.

alantani

stainless steel shim washers under the click plate might help.  you might also be able to reverse the click plate.  you may or may not have enough room.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!