Ocean City 609?

Started by tlanzilotta, July 05, 2013, 05:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tristan

Chad, that's a great job on that venerable classic!

I've come across a Ocean City Big Game 605 which I will be cleaning up and servicing.    It's quite as bad as your 'before' pics, probably a bit worse for wear.    I know there is lots of fine sand in the mechanism and drag cup.      Hope I can turn it around as well as you and Daron did yours.

Has anyone tested the max drag on these reels? 

Tristan

Tightlines667

Nice work there Tristan!

That reel came out beautiful.  Looks like the bridge and other internals were plated on your later model, as opposed to the raw marinized bronze parts in Daron's slightly earlier model.  I assume you are considering fishing it, with the handle upgrade and all?  If so, I would recommend alot of Dacron backing given the 3-piece spool.  I wonder how these spools compare to Penn's?  I have never worked on one of these larger ca. 19 50s ocean city reels.

Thanks for sharing your work!

Looks like anyone who can handle a service/cleaning of a typical Penn should have no trouble tackling one of these Ocean City's.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

cbar45

Quote from: tristan on April 02, 2016, 08:29:12 PM
Chad, that's a great job on that venerable classic!

I've come across a Ocean City Big Game 605 which I will be cleaning up and servicing.    It's quite as bad as your 'before' pics, probably a bit worse for wear.    I know there is lots of fine sand in the mechanism and drag cup.      Hope I can turn it around as well as you and Daron did yours.

Has anyone tested the max drag on these reels?  

Tristan

Thanks Tristan! Look forward to your "after" photos once the project is complete.

It may just be me, but it seems like the chrome on Ocean City's big game models cleans up a bit better than on other reels of the era.

Don't know what the max drag is for a 605, but my 609 with asbestos washers was able to pull 24lb. at top spool--with room for more.

Chad