general useage of loctite?

Started by hafnor, September 01, 2011, 01:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cone

I use the 242 blue locktite on Penn ss dogs. I also use it on handles. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Shark Hunter

I also use the Blue, just for handles.
Life is Good!

MFB

I use screw lock low strength (purple) for most things.

Rgds

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

exp2000

I use the stuff all the time.

Certain replacement part screws for handles etc from Shimano come with a thick blue "paint" pre-applied for this purpose.

Anyone know what this stuff is?
~

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

i noticed that blue stuff on penn's key 23A handle lock screw too. probably dried gooey glue ??? ??? ???

johndtuttle

Quote from: exp2000 on March 24, 2014, 10:48:13 PM

Certain replacement part screws for handles etc from Shimano come with a thick blue "paint" pre-applied for this purpose.

~

It's Blue Loctite.

There is always a fine line between corrosion protection and something actually having to stay tight.

The general design of conventional reels other than their handles doesn't really need the stuff much.

For spinning reels, handles, line rollers, crosswind blocks, idle gears, worm pawls etc that are inside the body etc can benefit and the manufacturers use it as 99% of fishos will never open up their reels and want things to stay tight.

I think the real "reel tech" see so much corrosion on conventionals and so few spinners that you guys love grease. The manufacturers always have a "lower common maintenance acumen" and "problem solving ability" among their customers that they are striving to please and my guess is that things that stay tight are their priority.

tl;dr Loctite is cheaper than the problems associated with things coming loose inside the body.

Eric Hensel

That pre-appiled locking compound isn't blue loctite --it's a rubbery substance designed to work through several tighten/untighten cycles. Many bicycle components come with it, and I have had no luck finding out what it is.
Having said that, there are several places on a rel where loctite blue is perfect --it allows snugging the stupid flat-head slotted screws on the inside of a Squidder frame, for example --instead of attempting to reef on them :)
Loctite blue releases quite easily when you want it too, and will keep salt-water out of the threads.
Quote from: johndtuttle on March 25, 2014, 04:32:04 AM
Quote from: exp2000 on March 24, 2014, 10:48:13 PM

~

It's Blue Loctite.

There is always a fine line between corrosion protection and something actually having to stay tight.

The general design of conventional reels other than their handles doesn't really need the stuff much.

For spinning reels, handles, line rollers, crosswind blocks, idle gears, worm pawls etc that are inside the body etc can benefit and the manufacturers use it as 99% of fishos will never open up their reels and want things to stay tight.

I think the real "reel tech" see so much corrosion on conventionals and so few spinners that you guys love grease. The manufacturers always have a "lower common maintenance acumen" and "problem solving ability" among their customers that they are striving to please and my guess is that things that stay tight are their priority.

tl;dr Loctite is cheaper than the problems associated with things coming loose inside the body.

Tile

No Loctite for me. There is a better way to stop screws from coming loose on conventional reels - the Grower washer (the serrated version is the best). These washers are designed for high vibration environments and can be found in a lot of places. I had no problems with screws coming loose inside my spinners (if one breaks down severely I can get a replacement for obscenely low price).
In solid fiberglass we trust

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Eric Hensel on March 27, 2014, 09:35:02 PM
...and I have had no luck finding out what it is...

and when you do, please let us know. thanks much!

Eric Hensel

Quote from: Tile on March 29, 2014, 10:24:54 AM
No Loctite for me. There is a better way to stop screws from coming loose on conventional reels - the Grower washer (the serrated version is the best). These washers are designed for high vibration environments and can be found in a lot of places. I had no problems with screws coming loose inside my spinners (if one breaks down severely I can get a replacement for obscenely low price).
This won't be acceptable for the countersunk frame screws on the inside and outside of an old Penn, But it's certainly a good suggestion where aesthetics (or length of screw) isn't a consideration...

Tile

The screws on Senators don't come loose that easily. The Grower washers work best on reel stands (Penn Internationals, Shimano Tiagras and Avets).
In solid fiberglass we trust

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Tile on March 29, 2014, 10:24:54 AM
...the Grower washer (the serrated version is the best)...

or a split washer, but it's not for me.

Nuvole

Screws don't goes loose for fishing gear as much as my head trying to get them loose.
For fishing gear, I only use them for the roller tip of my rod, and some roller of ancient spinner.  

tortugo

I have found that Loctite is needed on the screws of the roller guides here in my part of Baja Sur. Our roads are rutted and after 30 minutes of washboard you could be very unhappy when you find your rod is missing some rollers.
Tortugo