Greetings from down under

Started by Foxy, July 16, 2013, 06:56:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foxy

Hey guys,
Long time lurker of the site. Just thought I'd say hi to everyone. The tutorials on here have helped me get the most of my tackle. I kayak fish a fair bit and if it wasnt for the articles on here many of my reels would be long gone 8). It has also changed my view on 'old tech' graphite reels like the daiwa slosh series which with a carbontex upgrade is my favourite reel to use from my vessel (no corrosion to frame is pro for yak fishing).
so yeah, glad to finally sign up  :D 

Foxy

Oh also I was wondering if you guys would be able to help me out with a couple of things. I am after a torium anti reverse upgrade for a torium 16. I plan on jigging with this reel using 65lb hollow core possibly 80lb if you guys think it can handle it. I've already upgraded the drag with carbontex and after reading into these reels i realise the anti reverse is the weak link here. I currently fish the reel on a 37kg okuma salinaII jig stick with 40lb braid but I know this setup is suboptimal (sorta cobbled this combo together when i realised my regular yak gear wasnt going to hack it offshore). i like the balance of the reel on that rod but am unsure of it's integrity. also how would i go about ordering some of those smicko handles i see in pictures on this site. I have an old but much loved TLD 15 that is in dire need of a handle upgrade 8)

BMITCH

luck is the residue of design.

Bryan Young

Welcome Foxy.

Torium upgrade, see http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=509.0

if you have any questions, please ask.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Foxy

Cheers
I will give shimano aus a call tommorow and see if they can get the part to me  ;D

Cone

Welcome Foxy. I'm hope you enjoy your stay at Mr. Tani's asylum for the reely insane!   Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

alantani

welcome!!!! 

so, the 16 size trinidads and toriums are my favorites, but kayak fishing has it's own special challenges.  the only way to preserve your bearings is to pack them with grease.  that means the reel will not cast well, it also means the anti-reverse roller bearing may slip.  what i would do is upgrade the drags to greased carbontex, then upgrade the ambassaduer-style dog to a trinidad DC dog and spring, and then finally upgrade the handle.  i have some made of stainless steel and delron that will hold up against the salt water.  shipping to australia is expensive, though.  let me know if i an help with any of these items.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Welcome from Pennsylania, Foxy.
Enjoy your stay, Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bill B

Welcome from the Sacramento Delta
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Foxy

Thanks for the warm welcome guys
I ordered the necessary parts from shimano australia today. WOW must say i was impressed with the promptness of it, done in 2 mins ;D. I have already slapped carbontex inside this reel and now all that will be missing is the handle, though i dont mind the wierd lumpy handle on it already, just need more cranking power. I should also have mentioned that I'm going to try and keep this reel off the kayak. It will predominately be used from the boat. One question, with the drag and anti reverse issues addressed will this reel be able to fish 80lb braid? I am not so concerned about the line cap of a 16, I prefer the narrower spool on it to say a 20 or 30 aswell as the weight of the reel, and I will only be fishing to about 100m of water more likely shallower reef and wrecks. Main thing I'm worried about is the strength and if anything will go 'pop' should i fish 20lb or so of drag.

basto

Hi Foxy from a Queenslander. I fish 20lbs of drag on my Torium 20. Does not seem to worry it. Mine has a carbontex drag and sprung dog.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n