Chinese super spinner in spe?

Started by paal, September 11, 2012, 04:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paal

Look at this fresh review from Alan Hawk: http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/tebse.html

I think the Chinese are getting closer. Obviously a copy, but as Alan says, even Shimano and Daiwa are ripping eachother off.... :)

Irish Jigger

Another great review. If Teben take Alan's recommendations on board they have a winner.

paal

Yes, it could be a killer at $200. My only concern then would be parts, but I would probably solve that problem by getting two :)

spearo776

contacted them (teven) today, looks like i'll get a 15000 and 20000 for trial. they will do single reels as a trial for $200. minimum order of 48 reels and you'll get em for $125 each. to fix the problems- drag washers $10 and retainer plate ~$5. great priced reel in my books. maybe i'll add a bearing or 2 where they have put the nylon bushes. ::)

Irish Jigger

Quote from: paal on September 11, 2012, 06:22:42 PM
Yes, it could be a killer at $200. My only concern then would be parts, but I would probably solve that problem by getting two :)

Shimano parts may fit ;)

Good Luck with the reels spearo776.

johndtuttle

Quote from: spearo776 on September 13, 2012, 10:18:04 AM
contacted them (teven) today, looks like i'll get a 15000 and 20000 for trial. they will do single reels as a trial for $200. minimum order of 48 reels and you'll get em for $125 each. to fix the problems- drag washers $10 and retainer plate ~$5. great priced reel in my books. maybe i'll add a bearing or 2 where they have put the nylon bushes. ::)

Where can you source an improved retainer plate?

Thx in advance, looking forward to your impressions after you replace those items.

regards

Cape-Fisher

To jump back to this forum as I bought sample of latest Sea 20000 from Teben. They done all improvements that Alan hawk suggested , even reel has new nice lighter knob . Carbontex washers are in place and retaining plate is secured with 3 screws.

I modified mine even further and suggested few things to them and i think they like it .

In the locking nut I placed bearing ( MR128ZZ  8 x12 x3.5)  with compressed slide bush so that shaft glides on plastic bush ( Skiffy- slide bearing 6x8x4mm) while bearing turns . It feels much easier to crank while weight attached to shaft ( I tested with 10 kg dumbbell hanging on rope from  threaded part of shaft- tip of the shaft). They fitted instead of bearing just a nylon bush ( 6x12mm)

Now last stage I am doing :  some fine adjustments to main gear spacing against pinion gear  and making drag system more powerful with extra plates and carbontex washers. It is easy to do , just need too replace carbontex 1mm washers with 0.5 mm and then you need extra 3 plates ( will get from them) - there is space to fit - I tested - it will just fit or if not I will lap the plates to 0.8mm .
Casing is very well made - it does not have seal but ( only on front part )   if applied a bit of thick grease before closing  it will seal from  accidental water submersion's

If you would like some pics - I will post them - just let me know .
But in short:  it is solid - well made reel and what you pay for it -  it is bargain . Also they will be making nice new bag for it - from neoprene

Bryan Young

Pics?  Of course.  We love pics of the improved Sea.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Cape-Fisher

First picture

> very light handle with knob - two sealed bearings inside the knob stem
  > three bolts holding retaining plate
  > casing anodized ( black ) and then coated in silver paint - very good finish

Cape-Fisher

Second picture shows MR 128 ZZ ( 8x12x3.5mm) bearing with previously compressed in Skiffy ( 6x8x4mm)  slide bearing .
Bearing is drop in - no adaptations or any milling needed.
I just slightly applied  Loctite to bearing outer casing so it sits secured inside the locking nut .
Slide bush was stiff fit - I used small vice to insert it . Slide bush - bearing has beveled edge and it makes easy inserting it .
Rubber seal goes on top it ( not shown)
It noticeably reduced cranking power while shaft under heavy load .

Cape-Fisher

Third picture shows handle
One small improvement could be done.
Small rubber cap - grommet which will  pull over the bearing and locking bolt to prevent exposure to salt and water.
Our hands are always wet and dirty