Penn long beach 60 frame

Started by Mentonemoose, July 23, 2013, 06:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mentonemoose

Wow, since its about the time of year that I start to get images of bluefin and yellowtail dancing in my head, and start going through my reels to freshen them up for the upcoming season. I decided to check back here to see if I could gather some inspiration of what I should do with that little box of old corroded parts that is my Long Beach 60, and saw to my astonishment that you guys have expanded this post to 3 pages. But upon reading said 3 pages I'm now wondering, OMG what did I start? Hehe LOL  :-\  ;D

Irish Jigger

Quote from: Mentonemoose on March 21, 2014, 04:16:58 PM
. But upon reading said 3 pages I'm now wondering, OMG what did I start? Hehe LOL  :-\  ;D

I'm beginning to wonder myself.
You asked a question nine months ago and now you return looking for an answer.
A lot of guys have given you great advice and I'm sure they are thinking "why bother?"
Were you serious?

Mentonemoose

Absolutely serious. Just as far as my reels are concerned the LB 60 has been on the back burner. And is still a pile of parts. Just been very busy. Just recently picked up a nice old California Tackle chocolate Sabre for this reel, but still haven't decided how to approach the rebuild. It's not that I don't know how to rebuild the reel, it's just I don't want to do the "typical" rebuild/restore. I am now leaning toward the more narrow width (such as the 501) as I have a base and bars that will work/fit, but I'm not sure what spool would swap in at the more narrow width. Perhaps the 29L-100. Only problem is I am not sure if the spool diameter will match up. Anyone have any suggestions to NARROW the LB60 to that width.

Ron Jones

You can't narrow a sixty, but a narrowed 112h is the size spool you are looking for. Got to get the kit from Tiburon.
Ronald
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Mentonemoose

Then what is this??? LB60 with 30-49 stand with matching clamp and bars. But what is that spool? I would love to copy/clone this with an upgraded jig master handle (witch I already have) and upgraded internals. Oh btw NOW I see the "notify me of replies" box. Duh! ::)

Keta

The reel is a factory width Penn 60, they use a 30-49 base.  The spool appears to be a factory plastic one but you can replace it with a 29L-85 aluminum or a 29M-60 (if you can find one).

What you want is a factory 60 with a 24-49 or 24-66 handle, 29L-85 spool, SS gearsleeve and AR dog, and 5+1 drag.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Mentonemoose

It's thinner than the 30-60 stand.?.

Keta

There is no such thing as a 30-60, the 60 uses a 30-49 stand.  Penn was good at using parts from other reels when ever they could to keep their parts inventory down.  Several reels use the 5-60 gear.

https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/60.pdf

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

Wow, that's a new one, I didn't know the 60 and the 85 had the same size base. I need to look into that. So a T3NK spool and a 85 spool are the same size?
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Mentonemoose

For the Long beach 60? I'm confused. The reel came with the 30-60 stand. And I have a spare 30-49 stand from a jig master that I upgraded to a Tib frame. The 30-49 is thinner than the 30-60. The reel in the pic uses the 30-49.

Keta

Quote from: noyb72 on March 23, 2014, 08:08:38 PM
So a T3NK spool and a 85 spool are the same size?
Ron

I think the shafts are different.  Before Tiburon made the 112HN kits I was trying to make a 60 spool work in a 112H and was not successful.

Quote from: Mentonemoose on March 23, 2014, 08:11:04 PM
The reel came with the 30-60 stand

Early 60's might have come with a 30-60 stamped stand.  I have to run to my shop to cut some aluminum for a downrigger bracket, I'll look at my 60 and 49 and get back to you.

Mark Twain

Ron Jones

I know the shafts are different,I meant capacity and general dimensions, sorry.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Keta

Quote from: Mentonemoose on March 23, 2014, 08:11:04 PM
For the Long beach 60? I'm confused. The reel came with the 30-60 stand. And I have a spare 30-49 stand from a jig master that I upgraded to a Tib frame. The 30-49 is thinner than the 30-60. The reel in the pic uses the 30-49.

It looks like you helped fond another mistake at MysticParts.  The 49 stand is 2-5/8" the 60 is 2-13/16.  The 60 stand is used on the Surfmaster 100, Squidder 146 and Jigmaster 501.

Mark Twain

Alto Mare

You're getting mixed up with the numbers Lee. The 30-49 is 1 5/8", the 30-60 is 1 13/16".
The narrow 112H spool will not work on the 60.
112HN spool 1 3/4"
60 spool 1 7/8"
standard 112H spool 2 1/4"
Also, spool shaft on the 112H is longer than the 60.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 23, 2014, 10:31:24 PM
You're getting mixed up with the numbers Lee. The 30-49 is 1 5/8", the 30-60 is 1 13/16".
The narrow 112H spool will not work on the 60.
112HN spool 1 3/4"
60 spool 1 7/8"
standard 112H spool 2 1/4"
Also, spool shaft on the 112H is longer than the 60.

D'oh!!!!  I measured off the 1" mark and pulled a bonehead apprentice move.

Mark Twain