114H gears

Started by BMITCH, July 24, 2013, 09:18:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMITCH

No rings on the BP gears right Sal?? They are super quiet! So maybe punching out the plastic/delrin bushing then replace say with copper pipe would be the ticket? Don't know maybe I'll give it a go when I find some time.
luck is the residue of design.

RowdyW

Copper is to soft, better to use oil impregnated bronze. Even brass is tougher.    Rudy

Makule

With respect, the internal ring is for the purpose of providing a sliding/wear surface upon which the gear ride upon the sleeve, without which, the gear would be in direct contact on the sleeve, and one of those would wear.  The very slight thickness of the internal ring also provides the correct pinion to main gear clearance.  Without this added thickness, there would be too much "slop" between the gears (teeth would not mesh correctly) and premature failure would occur.

My recollection is that the early reels did not have this wear ring, but the gear and sleeve were in direct contact with each other (but my recall isn't too good on this issue).  The sleeves, being brass, provided the wear surface, so there would be lots of very worn sleeves on those reels.  Consequently, and subsequently, the gears would also wear so the sleeve, pinion and main gears would all need to be replaced after heavy use.

It is interesting to note that the Everol Cairns big game reels originally came with a ball-bearing that held the sleeve in place with the side plate.  This was done so that the sleeve would not get worn on the shaft (as much).  In having to repair one of them recently, the company advised me not to replace the ball bearing, but to use a brass/bronze/delrin bushing instead.  They advised that the BB was prone to failure from exposure to sand, grit, etc.  Anyway, without that bushing/guide, there would be lots of wobble when cranking the handle.  Not quite the same, but similar with the Senator when that main gear bushing gets worn.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

RowdyW

Quote from: Makule on July 25, 2013, 06:06:22 PM
 Consequently, and subsequently, the gears would also wear so the sleeve, pinion and main gears would all need to be replaced after heavy use.

If Penn didn't use the bushing they would make the ID of the gear to the correct size to fit the sleeve & there would be no wobble. Some of the main gears do not have a bushing & they don't wobble on the Senators or any other reel.