Intro and Penn Reel ?'s

Started by shootandfish1, March 06, 2010, 05:05:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shootandfish1

In Alan's breakdown on the Okuma, I noticed the sideplate screws were a 'coarse' thread, like a wood screw.  I checked my new Penn 310GT2 (just got it yesterday) and its sideplate screws are also coarse.

I'm concerned that this type of screw will 'strip-out' after a few breakdowns.  I'm really thinking about returning this reel.

Alan's pic's of the GTi's show machine screws.

Are my concerns valid? 

Thanks-Fred

Jimmer

All graphite frame rrels use these coarse threads, just tighten them snugly but don't over do it or they will strip out.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

alantani

correct!  i know alot of people were worried about that early on, but these sheet metal screws into graphite actually hold up pretty well!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

akfish

For a while Penn made 114H graphite frames that used coarse thread screws. These stripped out so often that Penn was forced to recall the frames and replace them with frames using brass inserts and different screws. I've seen no problems with the side plate screws in the 320 series reels. But I have seen the side plate screws in Charter Specials strips out fairly frequently.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

man, i really hated those brass inserts.  i pulled a bunch out before i figured out what was going on.  plus, they got corroded!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!