What happens when your reel fails?

Started by mrbrklyn, June 27, 2013, 03:28:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

You can of course put a lot of water into a boat while backing down incorrectly, but it would take a LOT of water to swamp that boat!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

And even 200lb line would break before that happened.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

The story says the skipper fell and backed down to much. In a following sea that would ship water but I don't think enough to sink the boat. No way a marlin beats 2 inboards.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Bryan Young

Not photoshopped. Actually happened. Captain error. Was backing down on the marlin when he lost his footing and then lost control. Swamped the boat and down it went.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

backing down refers to backing up the boat up
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Nuvole

I don't see any white horse meaning the sea state is calm. And no boat should capsized even at full astern unless its a very serious design flaw. I suspect this is photoshop.

Bryan Young

Really, it's not.  Search the web, you will find the full article.

BMITCH

Anything, and I mean ANYTHING! Can happen at sea. Maybe he had a bilge already compromised? Bad pump? Who knows. I hope they were alright? The boat and gear is replaceable. It may sting for awhile but not the cost of injury or loss of life.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

redsetta

Not sure what the video was showing (aside from the original photos), as there are two distinctly different boats shown in the stills and the moving footage.
Seems a bit of a 'mash-up' movie (which I think kids these days call 'trolling')  ;) ;D
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Bunnlevel Sharker

If this really happened, I'd like what he's having ;D. That's why I like CCs
Grayson Lanier