TIP OF THE DAY

Started by Alto Mare, August 09, 2013, 12:30:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonnou

Quote from: El Pescador on October 24, 2014, 05:16:22 PM
Simple Green's head of R&D Dept. just called me, answering my questions on the issue Sal brought up re: the AL parts corroding to the point of not being useful.

Here is her answer:

A Cut & Paste from the website: 
When used with caution and according to the instructions, Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner has been safely and successfully used to clean aluminum.
Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner, Crystal Simple Green Industrial Cleaner & Degreaser, and Simple Green Pressure Washer Concentrates have been used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years.

However, caution and common sense must be used: aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water.
The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner can accelerate the corrosion process.

Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.

jonnou

The science here is not quite right
electrolisis not Corrosion
Oxidation of aluminium is what makes it the wonderfull stuff it is
two different metals and a liquid and you will get metal loss in ali as it will be the sacrificial anode for all metals except Zinc
I am no scientist though
best Jon

Bryan Young

This is for Alan...

Find Joy in everything that you do.  lol
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Quote from: jonnou on October 28, 2014, 04:54:56 AM

I am no scientist though
best Jon

You don't need to be a scientist to understand how metals react in an active environment and it sounds like you have a good handle on it.  Aluminum is a good material in some applications, not so good in others.  Pure aluminum oxidizes rapidly.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

wallacewt

i had my tld5 perfect,then along comes rothmar2 and double dogs it
not to make it stronger,not necessary, but to cut the back play in half
so i did,but, in the process i lost the pin off the shaft,goes in left side plate
what to do, cut a ss rivet,which i did.
better fit than the original

the boss"how is it"
smart "A." close enough.
b "i want it perfect"
s a "it is perfect"
b."well thats  close enough"
cheers

gstours

Perfect in a fishing reel,  seems to be until you know more!   gst.

gstours

And Another Tip;   Almost every body knows but seems inconvenient is to keep some stiff grease in a small container handy and dab a little on the screwdriver or torx end and insert screw on tip..... It wont fall off in any position,   even if you sneeze!           gst.

Alto Mare

At times it isn't easy finding the correct size cutter, especially if you need 1 1/2" OD. If you have a press, you'll probably get away by getting a little creative.
here is what I did:

cutter is made from a piece of a faucet that I replaced, I used a dremel to sharpen the edge. you could use a pipe or anything else that you could think of, this one is brass, once you sharpen it, it doesn't take much to hit it again with a dremel every once in a while
The new Acetal/Delrin washer is the same size as the stock washer from Penn
and a perfect fit

I hope it is useful for some.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

Nice Sal! You are a true craftsman. Work with what ya got and make it work for you. Thanks for posting.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Alto Mare

Thanks Bob! Yes, it is working out, I made these within 5 minutes and never sharpened the cutter

I do want to mention that the press needs to be bolted and if you set it at 30" in height, that would be best.
The wider washers require more force to cut, having the press at around 30" makes it much easier to apply pressure
Also, as mentioned earlier, you will need an extension for the handle and some type of material that the cutter gets stuck into it when cutting. I use a cutting board, wood will not do.

All fit very nicely

These are the .031" Acetal washers

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

The punch cut ones look better than the water jet cut ones.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

jonnou

Thats what we Kiwis call #8 wire technology ;)

Shark Hunter

Great work Sal! I'm going to have to pick me up one of those presses and some old faucet parts and stop punching mine with a Hammer. ;D
I recognize that Bridge along with the Buzzsaw ratchet on that sleeve. ;D
Life is Good!

thorhammer

Great....so I go into Northern Tool for a $10 tarp and come out with $150 worth of bearing grease, fittings, files, picks, dremel attachments, polishing discs, etc. and no tarp. And I was looking for a belt sander like Sal's, now I gots to find an arbor press too....

gstours

Yes the press is the right way to punch washers, but a large bench vise and a third hand can do pretty good as long as you arent doing many washers.  almost everybody has one of those cluttering up their workbench!!!!  from a joe homeowner to another.   gst.