My Penn Addiction

Started by ChileRelleno, August 15, 2013, 12:01:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

Quote from: mrbrklyn on September 03, 2013, 11:53:29 AM
wow - looks like the fish of a lifetime
That is a relatively small Black Drum considering they go to 100#, are you serious or being sarcastic  ???
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Newell Nut

I saw a 70 pounder caught on an Ambassader 5000 but we had to pull anchor and chase it for a while. Drums are tough and fun.

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Newell Nut on September 03, 2013, 10:13:11 PM
I saw a 70 pounder caught on an Ambassader 5000 but we had to pull anchor and chase it for a while. Drums are tough and fun.
Tru'dat, they pull like a freight train and don't quit.
When caught in the surf they can pose a real challenge on lighter gear.
The biggest I've seen down here was about 50#, the biggest I've caught was 38#7oz.
Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Cone

I caught a 43lb one last year in my cast net. I gave it away. The big ones are not good eating. The only reason I know the weight is I saw the person I gave it to. He said he weighed it at 43#. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Cone on September 04, 2013, 11:12:56 PM
I caught a 43lb one last year in my cast net. I gave it away. The big ones are not good eating. The only reason I know the weight is I saw the person I gave it to. He said he weighed it at 43#. Bob
But the small juveniles, 'Puppy Drum', that still have their stripes, are very good eating.

The bigger ones are notorious for parasitic worms in the flesh, and the flesh gets coarse.
I know a Coonass who takes the big ones and when he gets done with them you would swear you were eating shredded crab cooked in a spicy boil.
All I know is that he starts by steaming them while wrapped in cheesecloth.
Good stuff.
Ragnar Benson: