My new handle arms.

Started by Keta, August 16, 2013, 12:40:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Quote from: Mandelstam on August 21, 2013, 02:00:24 PM
Karl,

Wow.  Do you mind sending me the CAD drawing?  I'm probably not going to make it, but is very inspiring, and may consider a smaller variation for other reels, like Daiwas and Shimanos.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Bryan, I'll probably be cutting them for Karl and if it's ok with him I'll cut some for you.

Karl, make them out of SS shaft with the end turned and milled to fit in the hole in the arm.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

turboal

Can you make me a 2.5 arm for my Penn 16 Intl. ?

Keta

Quote from: turboal on August 21, 2013, 03:35:53 PM
Can you make me a 2.5 arm for my Penn 16 Intl. ?

If you can provide me with accurate dimensions of the hole one can be cut, I don't have a 16 to measure from.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

turboal

the 16S has a type M bridge/sleeve. it's all by it's self

Keta

Is that the same size as a 113H?

Mark Twain

Mandelstam

Quote from: Bryan Young on August 21, 2013, 03:00:18 PM
Karl,

Wow.  Do you mind sending me the CAD drawing?  I'm probably not going to make it, but is very inspiring, and may consider a smaller variation for other reels, like Daiwas and Shimanos.

Bryan

Quote from: Keta on August 21, 2013, 03:02:38 PM
Bryan, I'll probably be cutting them for Karl and if it's ok with him I'll cut some for you.

Karl, make them out of SS shaft with the end turned and milled to fit in the hole in the arm.

Bryan, glad you liked them! I can definitely send the drawing to you as it is right now. If you don't have a cad program I can do some tweaking per your requirements before I send it as well. Just let me know if I can help out, I fiddle around with AutoCad all day at work anyhow.

Lee, yea that would be the perfect way. Thanks for the tip. Now to just calculate the mass required to get it in balance... Hmm.. Guess it's easier to just hang a small bag from the end and start fill it upp with ball lead when the handle is attached and get it to balance out. Then it's just to calculate the height of the shaft from there.

I guess for myself I'm going to get the end of the counter weight end of the handle to fit a metric shaft as I live in a more civilized part of the world when it comes to units, but let me know if I should do a version for prepared for another shaft diam.

By the way, I plan to fit a kolekar handle grip to this, does anyone know the diam of the attaching shaft?

/karl
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Keta

Quote from: Mandelstam on August 21, 2013, 04:32:55 PM

By the way, I plan to fit a kolekar handle grip to this, does anyone know the diam of the attaching shaft?

/karl

They are close to .0139 cubits  ;D  but I'll get an accurate measurement today.  I have been cutting them undersize, drilling them out and then filing them for a snug fit but if I make a lot of handles I'll buy a ream.

Mark Twain

Mandelstam

Quote from: Keta on August 21, 2013, 04:46:28 PM
They are close to .0139 cubits  ;D  but I'll get an accurate measurement today.

:) Are you talking about the Sumerian or the Biblical cubit? Or maybe the Royal Egyptian?

Quote from: Keta on August 21, 2013, 04:46:28 PM
I have been cutting them undersize, drilling them out and then filing them for a snug fit but if I make a lot of handles I'll buy a ream.

Are you talking about the plastic handle? What I meant was the steel shaft between the arm and the grip.. Just sort of got confused here.. :) I want the end of the handle arm to have the same diameter as the attaching grip shaft.

thanks for bearing with me...

/Karl
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Keta

I meant arm and the hole where the handle shaft goes into it opposite of the counter weight hole, sorry.

Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Quote from: Keta on August 21, 2013, 03:02:38 PMBryan, I'll probably be cutting them for Karl and if it's ok with him I'll cut some for you.

Hi Lee,

I would need to redesign it a bit to scale smaller daiwa and shimano reels in addition to the gear sleeve opening.  Then based on the handles, need to determine what to do about the counter weight.  The arm length is a bit long for the little reels I'm thinking of.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Makule

The counterweights on the arms do not need to exactly balance the crank side.  It's mainly to remove excess "wobble".
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Mandelstam

Quote from: Makule on August 21, 2013, 06:27:27 PM
The counterweights on the arms do not need to exactly balance the crank side.  It's mainly to remove excess "wobble".

Ok, got it!

:)

Bryan Young

Quote from: Makule on August 21, 2013, 06:27:27 PM
Then I would loose my knuckle buster spin move.  ;D

Keta

Quote from: Mandelstam on August 21, 2013, 04:32:55 PM

/karl

Where it goes into the arm is .312" or 7.9348 mm.

Mark Twain