Got a tuna! Lost a rod!

Started by Bucktail, August 23, 2013, 01:11:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

I've caught a few, these were just pulled out of the RSW tank.  The ones tied to the rail are over 200lbs, two are mine. They were caught about 150 miles NW of Cabo, Baja Sur.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

floating doc

Wow, that's a lot of big tuna! Thanks for sharing the picture. Which boat is that? A long range trip out of San Diego has been a dream of mine for many years.

There's a boat out  Tarpon Springs, FL that ran an eight day trip for tuna and monster bottom fish this summer. The gulf yellowfin aren't the size of the baja fish,  but can be 80-120 lbs. Maybe next year.
Central Florida

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

bluefish69

Doc

If you like to try those L R Trips try the Yankee Capt in Key West. Capt Greg does L R Trips all the time & is very good at it, he has a lot of years of practice at his trade. This might be closer to home but not around the corner for you.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

floating doc

Thanks, the Yankee Captain trips have been on my radar for some years. I have the option of long range trips out of Pinellas county (St Petersburg, FL area). I used to take some of those for bottom fishing on the middle grounds. Usually a two day trip. I'm on the east coast now; no one offers similar trips here.

I'm leaning towards going back over to the gulf side, to try some of the trips offered by one of the boats from the Viking Starship fleet out of Tarpon Springs. They offer long range trips, but it's all bottom fishing except for the eight day tuna trip they ran this summer.

I love bottom fishing, but I'd like to tangle with some tuna before I get too old.

http://gulfstarfishing.com/
Central Florida