8/24/2013 - the 2013 second annual garcia-ouano charter

Started by alantani, September 03, 2013, 04:48:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ahistick

Below is Chef Drew Rivera...he created all the delicious food for the trip!

Not only talented in the galley, but the he is one hell of a fisherman too...He was sight casting with a 10 foot Harnell to breaking yellowtail off the bow and went for 3 hook ups in 3 casts in one period...

He was also triumphant in a 10 minute crew-only calico bass fish-off with this 5+ lb calico bass!  The crew fish-off was one of the highlights of the trip with 6 of the deck crew fishing including young Duke Ekstrom.  Captain Ekstrom was judge and weighmaster, Ben was photographer, and myself on top of the bait tank chumming sardines...the calico fishing was so good, the passengers elected to stop and watch the crew put a clinic on with swimbaits and jigs...

tcat103

Thought I'd share some of Chef Drew's culinary creations that we experienced on the trip for the benefit of our forum members:

Five Star Dining!  Oh and Chef Drew just recently received his Captain's license.

Anytime Baby!

Shark Hunter

Awesome!
I am Jealous! Just for Curiosity, I checked out the Royal Star online. It seems like a 10 to 13 day trip cost about $2500. I'm sure that's not with the special treatment that you guys got. Meaning, it would be booked full instead of the elbow room. Thanks for Sharing.
Life is Good!

ahistick

Quote from: Shark Hunter on September 05, 2013, 05:15:56 AM
Awesome!
I am Jealous! Just for Curiosity, I checked out the Royal Star online. It seems like a 10 to 13 day trip cost about $2500. I'm sure that's not with the special treatment that you guys got. Meaning, it would be booked full instead of the elbow room. Thanks for Sharing.

I've been on the Star on both open party trips and on Ben's charters...I've always been treated well by the crew.  Even open party trips have a semi-private charter-feel to the trip since there are many repeat and loyal clientele.  The crew treat each and every passenger well...once you hook up to a fish, a crew member will be at your side acting as spotter, coach, etc...to make sure you catch your fish and enjoy yourself... 

At full capacity of 24, I don't recall feeling crowded on those trips...

If one ever has the opportunity to go on a Royal Star trip, I highly recommend  ;D

tcat103

Quote from: Shark Hunter on September 05, 2013, 05:15:56 AM
Awesome!

My boss private chartered the boat   ;D
Anytime Baby!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

smnaguwa

Your reports are the best anywhere! Makes me want to try it sometime now that I am retired.

Joel.B

wow what a feast. I guess the fishing was good too........but that food.....

So when is the alantani.com trip?   I need to know a year or more in advance so I can start selling organs to pay for it

Shark Hunter

I hear that Joel. Alantani trip aboard the Royal Star! ;D I better take out that Second mortgage now! :D
Life is Good!

El Pescador

Quote from: Joel.B on September 05, 2013, 03:13:21 PM
wow what a feast. I guess the fishing was good too........but that food.....

So when is the alantani.com trip?   I need to know a year or more in advance so I can start selling organs to pay for it

Hey, I'm on board with this idea!  No pun intended!
Have been thinking of a San Diego Long Range trip for sometime, if we open a schedule, I'll book for 2014 or 2015, and for Dom's sake, I'll be the official onboard photographer!!!!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Dominick

It looks like fun for one day.  You won't get me on a boat overnight unless I'm on a cruise ship.  Besides how is Alan going to swing the time?  The man is wound tighter than mono with a Marlin on.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Joel.B

Quote from: Pescachaser on September 05, 2013, 04:13:14 PM
It looks like fun for one day.  You won't get me on a boat overnight unless I'm on a cruise ship.  Besides how is Alan going to swing the time?  The man is wound tighter than mono with a Marlin on.  Dominick

Its just like a cruiseship Dom- but instead of shuffleboard you play windy/cranky or tossy/baity......

Alto Mare

Quote from: Joel.B on September 05, 2013, 03:13:21 PM
;D ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

tcat103

All the San Diego Long Range boats will get you on fish but there are two compelling reasons why we charter the Royal Star.  

First, the treatment of your fish is primary to the quality you experience in the finish product.  If you value your fish (in our case Bluefin tuna at ~$30/pound, you'll understand what I mean.  Once your tuna (or other fish) is gaffed, it is  immediately spiked, bled, gutted and in the case of the tuna, pithed to prevent any further damage to the meat while flopping on the deck and prevent any lactic acid build-up.  It is then immediately put into 30 degree RSW (Refrigerated Sea Water). The fish is never placed in a temporary kill box.

Second, on other Long Range boats, at the end of any trip, the fish is unloaded into carts which passengers take dockside, distribute on the sidewalk and placed according to numbers.  This lends to fish bruising which again seriously affects the quality of the end product.  Not on Royal Star.  You simply debark the ship with your gear.  The crew offloads your fish into waiting ice water slush bins (thus preserving the RSW end product) and is transported to the fish processor where you await your catch.   You NEVER have to touch your fish until you receive it.

After debarking, we had breakfast, and drove to the fish processor shortly thereafter.  I personally had 1100 lbs of fish, unloaded, trimmed, processed, vacuum sealed and in coolers for transportation in less than 2 1/2 hours.  

I highly recommend the Royal Star if you are consideration a Long Range trip.  :)
Anytime Baby!