help for newbie with ambassadeur 7000

Started by fishhawk, August 25, 2013, 05:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishhawk

Hello people, great site! I have an ambassadeur 7000c3 (swedish) that The only way I can keep from backlashing Is to tighten waay down on spool control, and yes the right side is tight also. i have the large brake locks in it and even lubed spool shaft bearings with stp! I have 6 other 7000's and have no problem with them.
This is happening with 3-4 oz. weights on a 2-8 oz 12' rod with a soft tip.I consider myself to be an average plus caster so this dazzles me, please help for I have already lost 600 yds of good mono just this week in my yard!

Lunker Larry

ABU 7000s are a staple for muskie fishing up my way and I have never come across what you have said but, make sure there is no lube on your breaks and ring and try adding copper shims to the spool tension knob. I've seen as many as four in there from the factory so the tolerances aren't too exact. Good luck
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

fishhawk

thanx larry, I found that the breaks were bad, so that fixed the back-lash prob, now I have the tightening spool cap problem! (whenever I tighten it down the real practically locks up????)
I have started with 4 shims, now am using 1, same prob.

Ken_D

Hi. Pull one shield on each bearing, clean them out, then lube with 90 wt. gear oil. If that's too much, if you live near an airfield, ask for an empty can of 120 piston engine airplane oil.... there's ~always~ at least a teaspoon of oil left in the can, collect that, and try it.
http://www.shell.com/global/products-services/solutions-for-businesses/aviation/products/lubricants/piston-engine-oils/oil-65-80-100-120.html

fishhawk

thanks ken.I fixed the problem with new brakes.On the other hand I would love to remove the shields on all my reel bearings but I cant get them off (even after reading alan's tutorial on removing them) Any help with that would be appreciated.

Ken_D

Quote from: fishhawk on September 04, 2013, 08:53:13 AM
thanks ken.I fixed the problem with new brakes.On the other hand I would love to remove the shields on all my reel bearings but I cant get them off (even after reading alan's tutorial on removing them) Any help with that would be appreciated.

Hio....Good to know you fixed the reel. On brgs:Alan's method is good, when the shield is held in place with a tiny hair thin ring. Sometimes, the makers use a press-fit shield, never intended to come off. Take a tin can lid, cut into it at varing degrees around the edge, and press it into a can.

That's the concept. These types of shields require a destructive approach. Take the smallest flat screwdriver from a dollar store set, use a hammer, and bash (lightly tap) the driver between the shield wall and the bearing, then pry off the shield. The shield will be bent into the bearing, but no matter... the gap created will let you pry it off.

Lunker Larry

by any chance could the side casing be pushed in a bit? Wouldn't take much to put added pressure on the spool or misalign it or maybe the spool is off round and binding.
Just a thought as the problem is puzzling.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

fishhawk