A little double dog input...

Started by coastal_dan, August 29, 2015, 07:35:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

Quote from: coastal_dan on September 01, 2015, 12:13:38 PM
Replaced the spring and it is better, but when I disengage the primary dog by hand you still can see the other dog slip under fairly heavy hand applied pressure as I turn it against the secondary dog (it takes more pressure with the longer stock spring).  I'll attempt to file the edge on the dog a bit.

Sal, as I read your post again, the dogs do not pop up off of the post or slide up it, it's that the dog pushes back on the spring.  At least that's what its doing for me  :D

Again, this only applies with the secondary dog, the primary worked great and I was using about 15 lbs of drag catching +/- 10 lb fish in 300' of water.  So far I'm happy with the parts, especially for the price.  I'm just not sure if the secondary dog would save a fish in its current form.

I'll take her down again and see what happens.

Thanks all!

Dan:  Make sure you take little material from the bottom of the dog and just a bit from the top, in other words angle your cut so it leaves more material where the dog makes contact at the base of the anti reverse gear and the dog is angled so as to remove a little bit more material at the portion that makes contact at the top of the gear.

I hope I have explained it fore you so that you are seeing my explanation the way I am meaning it.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Keta

What is forcing the dog to engage?  Remove that with a file and the problem is fixed.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Reel 224

Dan; I made a sketch of what I was saying about the new dog angle, hope you can make out my drawing okay.

Joe

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

coastal_dan

Here are two quick cell phone shots from yesterday...

1) No back pressure applied, so neither dog is 'fully engaged' right now...

2) As I add pressure you can see the dog 'rise up' out of where it should be sitting, which would be full against the tooth of the sleeve...

I'll do some filing and see where it gets me  ;D
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Reel 224

Dan: you got me thinking since you have the same upgraded double dog SS gear sleeve and bridge that I have, I just did a drag test on my reel and went up to line failure on 25# test mono with no slippage on the dog...it held with 22# of drag, I mean that is a heck of a lot of drag.

I also noticed however that the primary dog was rising on my gear as well when using back pressure, but after testing the heaviest drag that I would ever use, I am confident in leaving it as is. Remember what ever you do to shorten the primary dog you need to make sure you don't change the timing in the second dogs engagement.

Joe