rattle on record 51

Started by fritz1, August 13, 2013, 05:34:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken_D

Quote from: fritz1 on August 18, 2013, 08:32:20 AM
hi,
very nice guide, thx. The ceramic pawl sounds a great deal, will they be louder like the bearings do?

Hi, F.. No.. the ceramic line pawl once fished for about a week, is very quiet. Noisy (rattly) ball bearings must be dry...try a drop of a light oil like 3 in 1, or the oil that came with the reel, in the brgs.

fritz1

Hi,
I cleaned the bearings and changed to the new idler with the open brg. There is no piping anymore, but i noticed the centrifugal brake assembly being loose after a few times serviced. Could this cause the rattle? If so, how would you fix it?

thx fritz

fritz1

Hi guys,
There is another thing i noticed a few days ago. If i turn the handle and press the thumbbar, the handle keeps turning about 2 seconds. Is there to much friction between the pinion and the axle?

Thx fritz

Ken_D

Quote from: fritz1 on August 29, 2013, 06:11:48 PM
Hi guys,
There is another thing i noticed a few days ago. If i turn the handle and press the thumbbar, the handle keeps turning about 2 seconds. Is there to much friction between the pinion and the axle?

Thx fritz

Hi, Fritz. Are you doing some sort of static test by turning the handle and hitting the thumb bar at nearly the same time?  

Also: to possibly take care of excessive spool side play, pull the brake puck, and clap in a couple of 13104's.
If you have a 6-puck pack, do not put it on upside down. You will not be happy if you already have, or do so as you add the 13104's.

fritz1

Hi there,
What material is the o-ring under the spool tension bearing made of?
Thx fritz

Ken_D

Quote from: fritz1 on January 03, 2014, 05:07:39 PM
Hi there,
What material is the o-ring under the spool tension bearing made of?
Thx fritz

Morning/Afernoon/Evening, Fritz. I cannot positively say, but based on North American 0-rings, I suspect it is either Buna-N rubber, or an Ethylene-propylene compound. If yours is compressed and gone flat, therefore not making friction, but not broken, you can carfully remove it from the boss with a blunt needle, and wrap a few turns of 4 lb. monofil in the groove, then re-install the 0-ring. This fattens it back up for a long time, till you get a spare.

Before removal, I would make sure you have a spare from another reel not in use at the moment. Now and then, no matter how careful you are, the 0-ring breaks. This can occur when you use the pick, and see many cracks all over the ring. Or if you stretch the ring too much as you pick it free.  Eeb, eh? has them on all the time..I got 100 for 4.50 and stamps. Hope that helps. HNY, KD

fritz1

Hi guys,
I changed the gear ratio from 6.3 to 5.3 via main gear and pinion. Now the reel does fell very rough.
Can this be minimized by usage, or should i try another set of gears?

Thx fritz

Ken_D

Quote from: fritz1 on February 13, 2014, 03:39:01 PM
Hi guys,
I changed the gear ratio from 6.3 to 5.3 via main gear and pinion. Now the reel does fell very rough.
Can this be minimized by usage, or should i try another set of gears?

Thx fritz

New or used gearset?  When you engage cast, how much side play does your spool do?  Check on the bench by moving spool side to side manually, and see how much you get. You don't want much at all.

fritz1

Hi ken,
This is a new gear set directly from abu. On the new set i got a little sideplay depending on the tension i supply. But if i try to increase tension too much, the spool semms to touch the frame somewhere.
Thx fritz

fritz1

Ken_D

Hi. Your symptoms are fascinating. These are first time issues here, I've never seen these pop up on other forums I visit, I have suspicions as to what's going on with the spool. The gearset should quiet down after a little crank time on the water. How is the pinion yoke? Any signs of curyley-Q's of plastic anywhere.

The Record is a special breed of ultracast. The spool cap does not adjust casting tension. It adjusts the side to side play of spool to frame.  Put reel in cast mode, feel the side to side play, and adjust the cap to your specs.

From your report, it sounds like you adjusted the cap too far, causing the spool to catch on the LH side of the frame.