Handle play in 113h Senator

Started by BryanC, March 22, 2010, 04:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

Ahh! I see what you mean, now.  I misunderstood the question. Sorry if I confused anyone with my comments.  I do appreciate the knowledge you guys are passing on. Would a delrin washer work? I think I have some sitting around...how big should it be: I.D. and O.D.  Thanks
Dom

slgriffiths

Delrin, sure.  Teflon, as Alan suggested better.
OD - the size of the inside of the teeth on the gear sleeve.  Don't want the dog getting hung up on it.  ID - just measure the shaft on the bridge.
Simon.

richie668

Quote from: slgriffiths on March 31, 2010, 04:25:06 PM
Hmmm.
$3 teflon washer vs $12 bridge?
You tell me.
Simon

Simon, Were you picked on too much as a kid?

broadway

Thanks Simon I'll give it a shot when the time comes-hope never:) I will check to see if my washers will work, if so you guys will be the first to know.  Thanks
Dom

Irish Jigger

Had a similar problem with a 113H some time ago with excess lateral movement in handle. Problem was a rusty gear sleeve retaining pin on the bridge assembly. Punched the old worn and rusty pin out and replaced it with a stainless steel one cut from a bicycle spoke, 2mm/ (0.08in)/(14SWG) dia. Did the trick by taking up most of the slack without shimming.

slgriffiths

Richie,
Sorry if it came over as offensive. Not the way to go on this board.
Let me put it another way.
In these days of financial constraint, a $3 dollar washer may be a better idea than spending $12 on a new bridge plate and gear sleeve, although that would certainly fix the problem, very definitely.
And Irish, you are right as well. A corroded/worn pin would result in an increased level of axial play.
Never easy, is it Bryan?  Drift the pin out and check it - it may be that easy.
Simon.

broadway

Alright,  I just shimmed my buddy's gear sleeve.  I put on a delrin washer.  I'll keep you guys posted on how well delrin does instead of teflon.  Thanks
Dom

BryanC

I thought this thread had died over a week ago.  Didn't know it came back.

Richie - if you read my initial post, you would see that I did in fact consider replacing the bridge & sleeve.  It is $19 for the assembly, though, not $12.

I was also asking about rotational slop, which Alan informed me is due to gear lash.  It sounds like the only way to correct that is to replace the gears, and I don't think the problem is bad enough to warrant that (at least not yet).  This reel doesn't get used much, and I can live with both of the issues as is, but if there is a simple way to improve it, I would like to do it.

So where can I find teflon or delrin washers in the right size?  I need to order some drag washers for a 114h and maybe a couple other items from mysticparts.com.  Do they have any washers that will work for this?

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

broadway

Hey Bryan,

You can get washers in both delrin and ptfe (teflon) from McMaster-Carr.  I think they only sell them by the bag, but they're not that expensive anyway.  Hope it helps.  If they don't have what you want let me know and I'll find them for ya (definitely have them bookmarked somewhere.  Thanks
Dom

slgriffiths

And if you play around on eBay, try searching for Rubberman7  -  he makes up about everything you could ever want, and will do one-offs.  Maybe a little cheaper.
As I mentioned in a previous posting, measure up what you think you need, and ask him to do it.  Remember I was talking about feeler gauges?  Well, he (and you!) needs to know how thick the teflon sheet should be.  
The other dimensions I told you about in that posting.  I don't have a 113H in pieces at the moment, or I would measure them up and give you the dimensions. If you can't do it, ask me - I'll send you the sizes you need.
Measure it up, and ask him.
Don't forget to check out Accurate as Alan suggested - he has a lot more experience with this kind of thing than all of us put together!
Did you try checking out the gear sleeve pin, as Irish Jigger suggested?  That may be at least half a mil of play, if it's worn or corroded.  Worth a try.
Simon