Line Rating and Reels for a 4-7 Day Long Range Trip??? All Input Welcome!!!

Started by sundaytrucka, September 18, 2013, 08:39:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doradoben

Your 20 lb. outfit probably won't be necessary. If you have two 40 lb. set-ups bring them. The proper equipment may vary depending on which month your trip is. Check with the landing..

jonathan.han

If you go inshore to fish for things like Calicos, 20# is perfect. There's nothing wrong with having it-just in case.

Here's the platted loop knot someone was mentioning. You can tie anything and if you don't trust the knot strength, go up a line class or two. Nothing wrong with Surgeon's loops and spider hitches. Not as pretty as a dropper loop, but stronger. Dropper loop is 50-60% line strength. The platted loop is a solid knot:

raw instinct

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

bluefish69

That's the knot I was talking about. It is 100% line strenth. It looks something like a drooper loop but the drooper has more turns & only 80% line strenth.

That's the picture that I tried to copy & paste here from another site.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

jonathan.han

The "Dropper Loop" is actually a lot weaker than 80%, that is why most people just use a Surgeon's Loop or Spider Hitch Loop instead. The Kiwi/Platted Loop is the only dropper type loop that does 100%.

It's all technicalities and the name Dropper gets thrown around loosely.

Here's what is a Dropper Loop:

If you've been tying a dropper loop that is like the previous picture, then that is what knot junkies are calling a Platted Loop. You've been doing it right all along. COngrats!
raw instinct

bluefish69

Thanks Jonathan

The last knot is a standard here in NY. I am one of the few that use the Platted Knot.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.