Beveled side plate question

Started by GulfOfBothnia, September 15, 2013, 04:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GulfOfBothnia

Hello,

A few weeks ago I acquired a black beveled side plate (RH, gear side).
As far as I know these are from late 70's.

What is strange to me is the fact that the plate has a hump - I thought that these were only in later models in 80's. So this looks like kind of intermediate model...

Now my question:  Do any of you folks here have an idea what model this plate originally could have been belonged to? Which year model?

It has to be some n600 model since it does not have a groove for the spool release button.

Thanks,
Antero

Ken_D

Hio... what about the bearing boss? is it present day style, with a non-round shape inside the sideplate?
Early plates were all the way round inside, not kinda square on two sides of the 'circle' of today's plates.
Which see: Today plate inner no round:

GulfOfBothnia

You mean the current IAR bearing boss?
In my plate It is round and it's old style what it comes to diameter - it does not accept IAR bearing.

Also center bearing is a real BB. So it was meant for older style spool with fixed shaft.

There is a red round "High speed" sticker on the plate.

I can add pictures later... I have now long working day / trip ahead but maybe I can do this tomorrow evening.

Ken_D

Roger that.... I was leaning towards the Japanese 'nostalgia' reel produced over there a while ago.. black bevel, humped, iar. Identical to the oem 5600 except for the iar setup.

GulfOfBothnia

Pictures here

GulfOfBothnia

Sorry not so clear... hopefully gives idea what it is

Mandelstam

"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

GulfOfBothnia

Sorry I forgot to mention that it is in 4600 - 6600 range

Mandelstam

"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

I recently got a 5000c with the old style ribbed type rim, it also had the raised area.  The rise in the plate was to accommodate the higher drag stack when they came out with a multi disk drag.  On mine I found out it from  the schematic having an odd prefix on each part number that it was a transition model during a time when they were changing many different things in the early 80's.  Apparently using up all the older style parts they could. I never heard of the old style ribbed edge being placed on reels from that time. Perhaps your plate comes from around the same time frame though I'd guess with the red high speed sticker it was for a 5600. 

GulfOfBothnia

Whatever it is I'm going to use it to build classic style reel with modern internals.

Actually it was kind of accident that I got this... I thought that it was "normal" plate when bidding.
I'm pleased with what I received.