Alternative reels tto the Daiwa Sealine 900h and 600h

Started by JA_Angler, September 19, 2013, 02:29:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JA_Angler

Hello guys. I want a lot of opinions on this one. To my horrow, Daiwa has discontinued the Sealine 900h, 600h etc just as they became perfect (carbon greased drags were added). What reels should I purchase instead? I need 600yd of 60lb mono minimum (I won't fish higher than 20lb drag standup) on a reel that needs no adjustment to its internals. Single speed star drag is fine with me. Must be aluminium frame (eases my mind). Budget is $350. I don't like braid but I am willing to try if its the only way but there has to be a min of 100yd 80lb mono topshot. I am concerned about spool corrosion with braid sitting there holding salt. Only recognised manufacturers with strong support for spares long term. I don't mind used (I love my '92 Volvo 940 car) and I trust the members of this site to support me. My target for this reel is offshore Caribbean fish (wahoo, marlin etc.) I want peace of mind when that Widerange lure gets hit and the local captains looked at me funny when I suggested using my fairly new 114h for offshore big guys.  As far as I know, no granders being caught (max is 600lb, I think). Btw, I don't plan to keep billfish. The reel will be matched up with the current Sealine 900h Lots of responses please guys.
Kent from Jamaica.

Ron Jones

I don't know how a 6/0 isn't going to be enough for the kind of fishing you want to do. If you are concerned, their are things you can learn to do on here that will make it as strong as any other reel.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

JA_Angler

Hi Ron. Some of the local captains and anglers have reported to me that with straight mono, clients or friends sometimes get spooled running 6/0's without ever seeing what hit.

Ron Jones

I'll let someone like Sal or one of the shark guys respond. Believe me, the 6/0 is plenty of reel.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bunnlevel Sharker

Nothing like that but a penn 9/0 and it has no aluminum frame, but it's got stronger internals than the daiwa in my opinion. 6/0s ain't much line, 9/0 ain't much more without braid. I have an unknown easy 600+ of 130lb braid I'm about to put on my 9/0, then top it with 80lb mono. Trust me braid backing is your friend. Get some used daiwa 900hs and upgrade drags
Grayson Lanier

alantani

the daiwa 600h and 900h are great reels.  changing the drage stack from a "1+3" to a "1+5" makes a huge difference.  the aluminum frame really gives penn a run for their money!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

The Penn 114HL also has aluminum frames:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Penn114HLW.aspx
I believe this one is a much better reel, adding $150 of upgrades will also make it much better than a 9/0.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

AndrewC

Why an alternative????,,,,,, Both are still available Brand New... Look after them and They'll last a life time
The worlds a better place when its upside down

JA_Angler

Thanks for the info so far guys. I need an alternative because the Daiwa reels are discontinued and I am worried about the availability of parts. I won't be gathering the larger reels for my inventory until December-January.  I guess a 114H tank should do it with braid backing or the 600h. Will always be sure of getting Penn parts though. If I have 350 budgeted for the reel, can I get a powerful 114h fishing 20+ lb drag? I am thinking 500yd 80lb braid then top off with 80lb mono (with the braid acting as my large fish reserve). Apart from the upgraded metal frame and side plates, what else for the souped up 114h? Would these work with the Chinese Senators?  Also, since we fish mostly straight mono, how should I connect the braid to the mono?   

JA_Angler

I am feeling a little sheepish now. I see that the Penn Internationals 50T can be had used in good condition for $329. I guess I will be looking at those instead of buying a souped up 114H for $300+. I do have a 113h and a 114h that I would like to upgrade though to tolerate 20+lb drag since I don't want any graphite frame reels on the boat but I have sentimental attachment to my existing Penns (first reels I owned). Apart from the frames and sideplate, what else should be changed out? Narrowing them would also look cooler, I guess, and easier for guests/kids to retrieve line.

saltydog

All you have to do is buy you one or two and take care of them I have had mine since the late 80's and you can hardly tell them from a new one.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Bryan Young

They may not be in production, but parts are readily availalble and they are still sold by Daiwa directly.  it would be better to pick up an extra one or two reels and parts instead of looking for a new reel that will become discontinued in the future.  JMHO.

Quote from: JA_Angler on September 19, 2013, 02:29:30 AM
Hello guys. I want a lot of opinions on this one. To my horrow, Daiwa has discontinued the Sealine 900h, 600h etc just as they became perfect (carbon greased drags were added). What reels should I purchase instead? I need 600yd of 60lb mono minimum (I won't fish higher than 20lb drag standup) on a reel that needs no adjustment to its internals. Single speed star drag is fine with me. Must be aluminium frame (eases my mind). Budget is $350. I don't like braid but I am willing to try if its the only way but there has to be a min of 100yd 80lb mono topshot. I am concerned about spool corrosion with braid sitting there holding salt. Only recognised manufacturers with strong support for spares long term. I don't mind used (I love my '92 Volvo 940 car) and I trust the members of this site to support me. My target for this reel is offshore Caribbean fish (wahoo, marlin etc.) I want peace of mind when that Widerange lure gets hit and the local captains looked at me funny when I suggested using my fairly new 114h for offshore big guys.  As far as I know, no granders being caught (max is 600lb, I think). Btw, I don't plan to keep billfish. The reel will be matched up with the current Sealine 900h Lots of responses please guys.
Kent from Jamaica.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Quote from: JA_Angler on September 23, 2013, 01:00:09 PM
Thanks for the info so far guys. I need an alternative because the Daiwa reels are discontinued and I am worried about the availability of parts. I won't be gathering the larger reels for my inventory until December-January.  I guess a 114H tank should do it with braid backing or the 600h. Will always be sure of getting Penn parts though. If I have 350 budgeted for the reel, can I get a powerful 114h fishing 20+ lb drag? I am thinking 500yd 80lb braid then top off with 80lb mono (with the braid acting as my large fish reserve). Apart from the upgraded metal frame and side plates, what else for the souped up 114h? Would these work with the Chinese Senators?  Also, since we fish mostly straight mono, how should I connect the braid to the mono?   
Check this out:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=7710.msg66164#msg66164
This reel left this morning for Florida, I asked a friend to give it a workout and report back.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

JA_Angler

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
"