Alternative reels tto the Daiwa Sealine 900h and 600h

Started by JA_Angler, September 19, 2013, 02:29:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

You can always step up to a 12/0 or 14/0 senator. These reels are 60 years old and going strong! ;) It can handle some big fish and the spool is large enough to run some heavy mono with no braid. As far as your salty braid corroding the reel. I know this is a pain, but I do it to give me piece of mind. I reel all my line onto another reel after every fishing trip and check the spool, Polish it up with some chrome polish and wind the line back on. Or you can just leave it on the reel you wound it on to.
Life is Good!

Bunnlevel Sharker

The spool won't corrode unless you dunk it, a wax coat is always a good idea though
Grayson Lanier

Shark Hunter

I beg to differ Grayson. A Chrome spool will corrode just from the saltwater on the line, if you just leave them sit all salty.
I can't believe how much those Mustad Circles start corroding after just a couple hours, it starts eating the chrome right off.
Life is Good!

Bunnlevel Sharker

That's why you gotta wash it. All mine get that treatment and are in good condition. I'm not a huge mustad circle fan, I don't get all the 20/0 hype. I have some serious j hooks in my garage, along with EC circles and a few mustads
Grayson Lanier

Shark Hunter

Yes, I like the Eagle Claws too. I guess me taking the line off is overkill. They looked fine. Just gives me piece of mind. I always give mine a good shower after being in the salt.
Life is Good!

Dynamo

I'm afraid I have to agree about braid holding some saltwater. I received two vintage reels with their boxes, a pristine 6/0 and an almost perfect 9/0. The 6/0 was spooled with really old Ande and the 9/0 with dacron. The 6/0 was fished once then thrown into storage, while the 9/0 was taken better care of, regardless the 6/0's spool was without blemish, while the 9/0 was kinda corroded and also the 9/0's dacron was still wet from 50 year old saltwater!

Bunnlevel Sharker

That's Dacron, spectra is a different animal. Dacron needs to be dried after every trip, and replaced about every 2-3 years. It will rot
Grayson Lanier

Dynamo

I agree with the overhype of the 20/0 Mustad. Everybody keeps saying how cheap they are yet the best price i could find for them was $24 shipped for a 10 pack, compared to the all-catch circles at $12.50 shipped. Sure the Mustads perform okay, but for the price compared to the All-catch alternative, they just are not worth it. I've had good luck with Owner and VMC as well.

Dynamo

Ah, you have a point, to be sure. But Power Pro holds in saltwater for me too after long soaks. But I guess Power Pro is Power Pro, lol.

Bunnlevel Sharker

It's spelled pooper pro not power pro. It shouldn't hold saltwater though, it might be fake. I wetpack braid cause it dries and becomes rock solid
Grayson Lanier

Dynamo

I don't think its fake, but it does get real damp after long soaks like I said. If its fake than i'll keep buying it anyways cause at least its better than mono..........I don't mind my spinner spools rusting cause I go through reels fast, haha.

Bunnlevel Sharker

It should dry right up. Coat the spools in car wax or shoe wax
Grayson Lanier

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Dynamo on September 30, 2013, 03:05:06 AM
I agree with the overhype of the 20/0 Mustad. Everybody keeps saying how cheap they are yet the best price i could find for them was $24 shipped for a 10 pack, compared to the all-catch circles at $12.50 shipped. Sure the Mustads perform okay, but for the price compared to the All-catch alternative, they just are not worth it. I've had good luck with Owner and VMC as well.
$39.99 for 20 shipped.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mustad-39960D-20-0-Duratin-Circle-Hooks-20-Hooks-NEW-/251339039010?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a84f96122
Life is Good!

Dynamo

Not bad, but I can get 20 lindgren pitmans for less than 30 shipped. The Mustads are great hooks and work but for the price, LPs are unbeatable, in my humbe opinion......And most of my spinners are cheap beaters, anyways. It dried eventually.......