Shark fishing

Started by Shark Hunter, September 21, 2013, 06:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

I'm used to aluminum angle on surf rod holders. Do you guys just pound PVC pipe into the sand?
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

CapeFish

Quote from: noyb72 on September 23, 2013, 05:16:47 AM
I'm used to aluminum angle on surf rod holders. Do you guys just pound PVC pipe into the sand?
Ron

I was going to comment on that also, if a bronze whaler picks you up a pvc pipe like that will end up in the sea. We use stainless steel 10-12mm round bar about 1.2m with stainless rod holder welded on. You can drive it deep into the sand and it can bend. The aluminium angle iron ones buckle badly after a while. those sharks must have done some water skiing with that heavy tackle!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

::) ::) ::) thanks for sharing...

Shark Hunter

The rod holders are hammered into the sand about a foot with a rubber mallet. The rods are set with 2 to 3 lbs of drag with the clicker on. When its time to pack up, they come right out. I've tried the spikes, and I think this is the way to go. The Sharks weren't skiing. They were pulling hard! I like to have the upper hand. I'm not messing around. I had a 14/0 with me I didn't even use.
Life is Good!

Makule

Quote from: Pescachaser on September 21, 2013, 08:01:22 PM
A dehooker???  I thought you were tough.  Just reach on in and take back what's yours.   :D :D Dominick

Lee's signature line says, "A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can in no other way".  Same thing for a guy who sticks his hand in a live shark's mouth to remove a hook.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Dominick

Right on Makule and Lee.  Dangerous business messing with sharks.  The shark in the video gets two guys.  This is not how you get a hook out of a sharks mouth. All jokes aside use a dehooking mechanism.  The shark does not actually bite the hand off but it does put a hurting on it.  Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

saltydog

Maybe they don't need to be shark fishing if they don't have a dehooker or a pair of plyers, DOH!!!!!!
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Ron Jones

I quote Ghost Busters.
"That was really stupid."
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

The little ones are mean little devils! Dehooker and bolt cutters! ;)
Life is Good!

saltydog

Especially those little Blacktips and Hammerheads, they have no problem biting you holding there tail, speaking from experience of a 12" hammer that did a tail spin on me and left me holding his hammers off me with my hands. No fun!
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

CapeFish

Some youtube clips illustrating our shark tackle and techniques in South Africa

alantani

i watched all three videos.  impressive!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

Looks like my post is getting Hi-jacked by some guys with a TV Show. I don't mean any disrespect, but your techniques are going to cost you some digits if you keep getting your hands that close to a Sharks Mouth! :o Its just a matter of time.
Life is Good!

CapeFish

Sorry if I offended you Shark Hunter, was not meant to, the topic said shark fishing. I am not a guy with a TV show, just a normal guy that fishes for fun in old clothes and likes to fix reels, not dressed in those logo emblazoned shirts for tv. Two of the clips are from a local TV show so they obviously are punting their sponsors, just thought I would share a different way of doing things. I have never heard of anyone loosing a finger, a few guys have been bitten on the leg with a shark turning too fast. I fish barbless circles and use a dehooker similar to you, often it won't come out and I keep a small side cutter in my pocket that I cut the cable with if the shark decides to come out 1/2km from my tackle box. the guys on the tv show are behaving a bit wild with their hook removal ,

Shark Hunter

No offense taken CapeFish. Lets see some pictures of your Sharks! ;) I'm sure there are others on here with some shark pics. lets just not turn it into SOS.
Life is Good!