Does this qualify as a reel?

Started by Makule, October 01, 2013, 10:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

If it doesn't hold line then it is a capstain. I am sure it is what the crab boats use. I don't believe it makes it as a reel.
Ronald
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

erikpowell

When I first got to Fiji in 05 and really started fishing and delving into reels I got duped  :D into buying 4 shiny new blue anodized 30W 2speed Wright & Mcgill reels from a friend of friends who was the rep. They were pre production reels and soon to be released so the boys were hyping them and brought em down to fiji to test for a month. they looked really gooood  8) on our boat so the offer came to me to buy the 4 outfits for a couple hundred bucks apiece...

Well, the WM rods are sweet! and I still fish them regularly... But there's a reason their big game reels never got released  :o :o

So a couple months later after all the reels seized up, I had to unspool four x 1000yd reels ( 3 with braid... $$) so I could send them back as failed. This exercise would seriously cut into beer time so I brainstormed...  a beer or two later...Boom.

We jacked up the rearend of the company pickup, threw on a spare rim and whaa laa .. Hang On! with a beer in one hand we had all four of those reels unspooled in like 15 minutes... and a crappy rim now worth a few hundred bucks  ;D

Well I never got any money back on the deal... but i did receive an avet pro ex 4/0-2 for my troubles from the rep ;D
And that Avet and 5' 80lb WM tuna stick are to this day my go to short corner rig.

Now.. that's how we unspool big reels here...... AND... That's how I came to know our host & mentor Alan ....and all you guys too...

;D that rim is still somewhere in the shed... and now i sideline by fixing other peoples crusty gear... hahahahahhaa !

Welcome to the darkside eh??  

Thanks to everyone here for you input, wisdom,camaraderie, and laughs !

Vinaka & cheers,

Erik

Dominick

BINGO!  The prize goes to Ron.  It is a capstan.  I did not remember the word until your post.  There used to be a capstan winch on a rigging truck I worked on when I was a teenager.  I learned how to move very heavy electric dynamos bolted to wooden skids.  I can move most anything with a Johnson Bar, pipes, hydraulic jacks, etc. and not break a sweat.  I had forgotten another of the jobs I had over the years.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Ron Jones

Well, I use a capstan whenever I do an unassisted landing of a submarine, and for some reason they always need maintenance. So I here the word basically every day.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Makule

Quoteunassisted landing of a submarine

What do you use to gaff it?  Must be an awfully large hook.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Dominick

Quote from: Makule on October 08, 2013, 02:04:04 AM
Quoteunassisted landing of a submarine

What do you use to gaff it?  Must be an awfully large hook.

;D ;D ;D  what do you use for bait?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

redsetta

QuoteYou have to understand it is hard for an Italian to explain something without you all seeing my hands.  ;)
Now that is a classic quote :D
Great stuff Dominick ;)
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Ron Jones

;D ;D ;D  what do you use for bait?  Dominick
We normally use surface ships. We run around with a scope up to lure them in and then take them out with a torpedo!! So if you happen to see a periscope sticking out of the water turn around and pilot away at best speed!
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Makule

I see.  It's just like with broadbill.  Harpoon them.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Ron Jones

I am one of the few submariners whose job it is to spend time on the scope and who knows something about fishing. When I teach kids to look for periscope masts, I tell them they are hunting for Broadbill.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Bill B

I know I'm late on this...but from one Italian to another...you know how to make an Italian stutter?......tie his hands together....sorry brother...but I got family from Florence..... ;D ;D ;D ;D
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!