Things you Learned as a Novice?

Started by Dynamo, September 29, 2013, 08:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bunnlevel Sharker

I do it more for fun than anything, a southern and tuna style J will work like a circle. Another method is to be harnessed up is to pop the rod back a few times
Grayson Lanier

Dynamo

I don't a harness and I use stretchy mono line, so I use running man. It might be a thing of the past but works if done correctly.......

Ron Jones

So, back to newbie lessons;
1. Drag to light is almost always better than drag to heavy.
2. Retie your hook, and check for sharpness, after every fish or anytime you hook the bottom and get the hook back.
3. If using bait, give the fish a chance to eat the bait, this chance may only take a milisecond.
4. The sun will kill you; and if the action is heavy you will not notice. Have a plan for UV protection and hydration.
5. On the other hand, the cold can kill you too. Don't disregard the environment for fishing.
6. As important as anything, clean and properly stow all your gear after the trip. Fail this step and it may be that piece of gears last trip.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

saltydog

Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Dynamo

YES, YES, YES!! I've switched to Owner to practically all of my smaller rigs, cause they dig in when dragged against your fingernail. Most people don't realize that with sharp hooks, a hook set isn't really neccesary. When its time, simply raise the rod up and reel furiously. Works with shark too, bu I do the running man anyways, just cause it gets the tourists looking, lol.

BMITCH

luck is the residue of design.

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tunacious

- You're never too old to learn new tricks
- Observe what successful fisherman are doing - it may be the difference between 'wishin' and 'fishin'
- Fish don't care about the make/model or cost of your rod and reel
- Stay cool and calm when the skipper is coming up on a paddy...don't cast until the skipper tells you to
- Wind in your face...you're in the right place
- Wind at your back...no fish in your sack
- Jig fisherman should fish on the downwind side of the boat
- Wait at the bait tank for the BEST bait
- If possible, underhand lob your bait out from the corner as the boat is coming to a stop
- Thank the crew after they gaff your fish or get you out of a tangle
- Don't be afraid to try something different in order to catch fish
- Jackpot goes to the crew

;)

saltydog

If the crew takes care of you take care of them,they will remember.
MacArthur

Bunnlevel Sharker

Always coat hook tips after sharpening
Don't smoke when ur hooked up on a biggun
Don't spit on the boat deck(come on people)
Don't be the "fishing master" on the pier or boat who won't move
Don't chew seeds on a boat
Grayson Lanier

saltydog

Have to use a little bait for the crabs,how else am I gonna get that Big Uglies attention. ;D
MacArthur

Dynamo

Quote from: saltydog on October 01, 2013, 12:53:20 AM
Have to use a little bait for the crabs,how else am I gonna get that Big Uglies attention. ;D
Great one!

Dynamo

Quote from: Bunnlevel Sharker on October 01, 2013, 12:45:54 AM
Always coat hook tips after sharpening
Don't smoke when ur hooked up on a biggun
Don't spit on the boat deck(come on people)
Don't be the "fishing master" on the pier or boat who won't move
Don't chew seeds on a boat
Do you smoke? I thought you were like 16.I won't tell anybody, lol. Who spits on boats? Spitting on anybody's stuff is not cool.....

Bunnlevel Sharker

Heck no I've seen fish lost cause people flick ashes and it hits the line, there's some idiots that spit on boats
Grayson Lanier

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

1. Greased CF washers are the words are the words are the words

2. Pre-service a new reel before use. remove spool bearing seals, check the rest of the baerings for grease and lastly grease reel internally and externally PERIOD