Talica 16 Service Question

Started by ktmatsum, February 24, 2015, 03:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ktmatsum

I just serviced my Talica 16 and noticed that the drag doesn't seem to engage at all until it's almost at the strike position.  This is the first time I noticed the drag not engaging until it's almost in the strike position.  I tried increasing the drag pressure to see if I could get it to engage earlier but it doesn't seem to work.  I tried comparing it to my other talica and that reel the drag engages about half way between free spool and strike.

I know when I first started servicing the reel I didn't put the drag lever on correctly so when I had the drag engaged it had a ton of resistance when cranking it.  Any help on the issue would be helpful.  I've tried removing the drag lever and reseating a bunch of time to no avail.

Bryan Young

Try taking the present know and the lever off again and restart with the lever in free spool before installing the cam.  It sounds like your cam is off by 180 degrees.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ktmatsum

Thanks.  I don't have the reel on me at the moment.  I'll give it a try.  I put the lever on while in the free spool position, but I've never paid much attention to the cam.  I usually just throw the cam in there and jiggle it around until it settles in the notch.  I didn't eve realize the cam was supposed to be seated in a certain position.  Still new to servicing the lever drag as I've only serviced my talicas a couple of times.

ktmatsum

I swapped the cam a 180 degrees and it seemed to fix the problem.  I didn't realize that the cam had a specific direction.  Never saw anything anywhere about putting drag cam back a certain way

Bryan Young

When I look at the cam, it looks symmetrical to me...but sometimes this works. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

how many times have we put something together, have it not work, then take it apart, put it back together and then suddenly have it work with no reason why?  ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: alantani on February 26, 2015, 06:35:38 PM
how many times have we put something together, have it not work, then take it apart, put it back together and then suddenly have it work with no reason why?  ;D

Sometimes it's the only way to fix the problem! Glad you got it worked out!