seized framescrew removal-1st gen. Penns

Started by Navidad Nutcase, June 16, 2021, 07:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Navidad Nutcase

Greeting to all, I hope I didn't post this someplace before. I always meant to but I don't think I ever did.

I'll let the pictures say most of it. Works great IF you get this far in disassembly. Make sure you fill the screw completely with nuts and tighten them down. It keeps the screw from mushrooming or bending. The other criticle thing is to make sure the surface you're working on as an anvil fits the shoulder of the reel side plate snuggly. This will lessen the chance of cracking the side plate. One well placed WACK usually does it, then back the nuts of slightly and wack again. repeat until free ( sometimes I must drive it all the way out. Even to the point of using a punch inside the hole.) Electrolysis is an amazing welder. Is it any wonder that no amount of screwdriver pressure can break the framescrews free by turning them?
Cheers
Greg
Don't criticize our kids. We too were once "young n' dumb".... Fortunately - and sadly - neither condition is permanent.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Navidad Nutcase

That's a pretty short reply Alan. However, I think I know what you mean. It's a wonder I never thaught of that before. We use to get new wheel bearings on a truck axle by applying liquid propane to the axle to shrink it.
Don't criticize our kids. We too were once "young n' dumb".... Fortunately - and sadly - neither condition is permanent.

alantani

sorry, had more of propane torch in mind!!!!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Rocket Dog

Quote from: Navidad Nutcase on June 18, 2021, 05:41:15 PM
That's a pretty short reply Alan. However, I think I know what you mean. It's a wonder I never thaught of that before. We use to get new wheel bearings on a truck axle by applying liquid propane to the axle to shrink it.

I would be interested in see that done. Though a safer route might be with a small block of dry ice. If you have a Co2 tank you can make your own.

Navidad Nutcase

I've tried heat with little success. But I am deffinately going to try liquid propane one time. Just gotta do it outside - and no smoking allowed..in my younger days , when it was 90 above and the beer was warm , we put 6 cans ( NEVER bottles) in a 5 gallon bucket. 1, 3 second blast of propane and it was cold.