LOS CABOS TUNA JACKPOT TOURNAMENT NOV. 7-8 TEAM No. 11

Started by Dominick, October 13, 2013, 10:00:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

ChileRelleno

Not even getting on the board has to suck.
But fishing in the Tourney, heck, fishing period, has to be better than working. ;)
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Dominick

Absolutely used the Tank.  It caught at least one of the tuna.  It would have been nice to have had the Marlin hit that rod but it was after 3:00 p.m. and with 80lb line the Marlin would have had to be finessed in.  It took 55 minutes with a Penn International 50 and 100lb line.  The Marlin was still a little green when we got it to the boat and Joe was tiring, but we let it run again to tire it out.  Despite our usual catch and release we all wanted some Marlin meat so we kept it.  I have a cooler full of Marlin and Tuna. It would have taken more time with the Tank.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 12, 2013, 01:06:32 AM
Domenicuccio, where are the pictures ::).
I'm doing some catching up.  I should get to them manana. 

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

TomT

Domenicuccio, where are the pictures Roll Eyes.

I'm doing some catching up.  I should get to them manana.

Don't get too excited Sal. In Baja "manana" doesn't translate into tomorrow, it just means "not today".  ;D ;)

TomT

Dominick

Okay everyone.  Here are the photos I promised.  We did not catch a qualifying tuna (30lbs.).  I am a pretty lucky guy in that I get to have my wife and grandchildren on my vacation.  Here is Olivia experiencing her first fresh coconut water.  She didn't care for it much.

Introducing Sophia, Olivia and my wife Linda at the snack palapa having an ice cream cone.

The day before the tournament we went to register and sign the waivers.  We stowed the goody bags we received and went to Solomon's Landing for a cerveza and margarita.  That is Joe Licata from New Jersey and Susan Bagis from Redwood City (John Bagis' wife) and yours truly from left to right.  I am not going to wear that shirt anymore, it makes me look fat.

Introducing John Bagis, the third member of our team.  We decided to go with a 3 man team.

Opening morning it was overcast.  The overcast lasted on and off all day. 

Here I am all dressed up for the ball.  Notice this shirt does not make me look fat.  Also notice my Penn International 50 VSW.  I caught one small tuna with it. All I did was crank and brought the fish to the boat.  That's how small the tuna were.

Here is Joe directing traffic or holding the rocks apart.  Doesn't matter look at the smile on his face, we were having a good time.

Our boat was a 29' Blackfin, the El Bandito.  Introducing the mate, Carlos on the left and Capitano Yanitizio on the right.  Both worked very hard to put us on to fish.

7:00 a.m. on opening day.  This video almost captures the roar of a 133 boats racing off to their favorite fishing spots.  This rush to glory is very exciting.

This report would not pique the interest of AT members if there were no photos of fishing equipment.  That's the "Tank" front and center of the picture.

I do not have photos of the Tuna.  For the record we caught 5 or 6 small tuna largest was maybe 20lbs.  They went right into the cooler and I did not have my camera handy when they were filleted on the back of the boat.
At about 2:00 p.m. on the second day of the tournament Joe hooked into a Blue Marlin. 

After a 55 minute battle the fish was brought to the boat.  We usually catch and release, but we had not had Marlin meat for a long time so we harvested this fish.  The following photos are of the Marlin.  The Marlin was so big it did not fit across an 8' beam.  We estimate it to be 300 plus lbs.  Since this was a Tuna tournament no one wanted to hook into a Marlin.  Marlin are by-catch in a Tuna tournament.

Check out these Marlin steaks.  I have some in my freezer.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

Very nice!! Looks like a great time for all. Thanks for posting.
luck is the residue of design.

wallacewt

always good to follow your adventures
linda looks to good for you.
cheers

Alto Mare

Quote from: wallacewt on November 17, 2013, 09:10:14 AM
cheers
I said the same when I met Linda...great minds think alike  ;D
Dominick, looked like your grandchildren were having a good time, you're a good nonno ;)

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 17, 2013, 11:52:14 AM
Quote from: wallacewt on November 17, 2013, 09:10:14 AM
cheers
I said the same when I met Linda...great minds think alike  ;D
Dominick, looked like your grandchildren were having a good time, you're a good nonno ;)
Good not great.  I took them out of school for a week.  What you don't see is they had to do school work each day and write a daily log of their activities.  The work needed to be turned in when they returned.  They are great kids.  They did the school work without a word.  I am blessed.  Dominick

Cone

It looks like a great trip! Too bad you weren't in the money. I'm sure the grand kids will remember it forever! BTW, I happen to be an orphan. I'm up for adoption. ;) ;D ;D  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B