Max drag before failure on stock 115?

Started by Dynamo, October 16, 2013, 08:10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Makule

Quote from: Dynamo on October 18, 2013, 04:13:01 PM
Those gears look nice. Will i need custom washers? Are the pinion cut gears stronger then helicals as avet claims? Are they just being cheap?

What are "pinion cut gears"?  Are those gears that are cut using a cutter shaped like a pinion gear?
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Makule

Quote from: Dynamo on October 18, 2013, 04:04:12 AM
Maybe an undesirable by catch, but a lot of fun to fight for me at least. Pretty cool to have Galapagos and white tippers over there. Those ulua look like large crevalle jacks, do they taste like 'em?

With one exception, hammer heads, sharks are always undesirable by-catches.  Hammers are only good as they can be used for bait.

Ulua are members of the jack group.  Several different species are caught.  Don't know how jack cravelle tastes, but my guess would be the same.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Makule

Quote from: Bunnlevel Sharker on October 18, 2013, 04:15:12 AM
I forgot to add a friend was getting spooled one night and locked his 9/0 down with pliers and it's still running strong. Uni-uni the tackle shop guy did failed, we saw line that wehad never seen before, and this reel has caught 10ft fish

I've noticed that in some cases, with a long, strong, run, apparently the heat from the disks will transfer to the sleeves, causing it to expand.  This, in turn, prevents the star from being turned without great difficulty.  The brakes actually can't get maximum tightness.

In some other instances, the disks' surfaces are burning and even as the pressure is being increased, the braking power isn't because the surfaces continue to burn and grind away, or glaze over (causing slippage).  This is the same thing as "brake fade" on cars when going down a very long hill.

Dynamo

Pinion cut gears are straight cut, Avet uses them. Interesting about the Hammers, they're the ultimate large shore catch for most people, where I come from.

Black Pearl

Quote from: Dynamo on October 18, 2013, 04:13:01 PM
Those gears look nice. Will i need custom washers? Are the pinion cut gears stronger then helicals as avet claims? Are they just being cheap?
Well, I know that helical cutting gear set is smoother and quieter than the straight cutting gear set. When it comes to strength between helical and straight cutting, it is base on the teeth on each gear, and how they mesh together. If the teeth are thin on one gear, it will be stripped by the other gear. It depends on the teeth slop (geometry).

Dynamo

Makule

Quote from: Dynamo on October 18, 2013, 08:36:36 PM
Pinion cut gears are straight cut, Avet uses them. Interesting about the Hammers, they're the ultimate large shore catch for most people, where I come from.

If pinion cut gears are straight cut then, all else being equal, helical cut gears will be "stronger".  The reason is that with helical gears, some of the force is at an angle to the tooth face and, therefore, "diverted" away from the tooth itself.  In straight cut gears, the full force is perpendicular to the tooth face.  It's akin to the difference between taking a straight on hit, versus a glancing blow.

With helical gears, because some of the force is at an angle to the tooth face, it tends to push the gears in a lateral direction.  Ordinarily, it does not cause a problem in fishing reels  (because those forces are relatively small).

Dynamo

Hmm, that's interesting, thank you for replying.

floating doc

Quote from: Makule on October 18, 2013, 08:27:43 PM
Quote from: Bunnlevel Sharker on October 18, 2013, 04:15:12 AM
I forgot to add a friend was getting spooled one night and locked his 9/0 down with pliers and it's still running strong. Uni-uni the tackle shop guy did failed, we saw line that wehad never seen before, and this reel has caught 10ft fish

I've noticed that in some cases, with a long, strong, run, apparently the heat from the disks will transfer to the sleeves, causing it to expand.  This, in turn, prevents the star from being turned without great difficulty.  The brakes actually can't get maximum tightness.

In some other instances, the disks' surfaces are burning and even as the pressure is being increased, the braking power isn't because the surfaces continue to burn and grind away, or glaze over (causing slippage).  This is the same thing as "brake fade" on cars when going down a very long hill.

Not just that. Brake fade also occurs because the brakes finally absorb enough heat that it's transferred into the brake fluid. Then the brake fluid boils, and won't compress. You lose your hydraulic action.
Central Florida

Makule

Quote from: floating doc on October 24, 2013, 02:44:24 AM
Not just that. Brake fade also occurs because the brakes finally absorb enough heat that it's transferred into the brake fluid. Then the brake fluid boils, and won't compress. You lose your hydraulic action.

Yeah, that too.

Alto Mare

If a reel is rated at 25# max and you're able to customize it and increase its capacity to 50#, that custom reel won't get as hot as it once did at 25#.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Alto Mare on October 24, 2013, 05:15:58 AM
If a reel is rated at 25# max and you're able to customize it and increase its capacity to 50#, that custom reel won't get as hot as it once did at 25#.
Sal
Now that is words of Wisdom My Man! ;)
I will use that myself! ;D
Life is Good!

floating doc

Quote from: Shark Hunter on October 24, 2013, 06:08:27 AM
Quote from: Alto Mare on October 24, 2013, 05:15:58 AM
Sal
Now that is words of Wisdom My Man! ;)
I will use that myself! ;D

That's something I haven't read before. It sure makes sense, assuming that the amount of heat generated at a particular setting is reduced. I'm trained as a scientist so I would love to see this tested.
Central Florida

Shark Hunter

I will be testing it on a big shark as soon as I get my gears! ;)
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Quote from: floating doc on October 24, 2013, 12:53:13 PM

That's something I haven't read before. It sure makes sense, assuming that the amount of heat generated at a particular setting is reduced. I'm trained as a scientist so I would love to see this tested.
Not being disrespectful in any way, but if you are a scientist, how about entertaining us by doing your own test?

I'm not a scientist, I'm just a mason/carpenter, but very good at it ;D.
I used that to my advantage when testing drags by holding weight from a treehouse. I also tested rolling weight with the use of a wagon and some bricks. The stock reel was jerky at weights above 20 lbs. The same reel, with customizations, was much smoother with the same weight.

Smooth drags equal less friction and that equates to less heat. Just common sense...but I may not have much of that  ;D

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.