grease, an update - 4/6/2010

Started by alantani, April 06, 2010, 09:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Palmerro

I have been using the Mercury Quicksilver Marine grease in 3 0z tubes. It has teflon in it. Nice but pricey. Just purchased Lube Tech Marine Grease @ Wal Mart in 3 oz tubes. 3 for $3.75. I haven't tried it yet, but I feel it should work nicely.Sorry... it ain't blue. :-\

alantani

Quote from: broadway on April 25, 2010, 06:16:46 PM
Do they sell 3oz. empty grease cartridges to replenish with your grease of choice? Do I have to buy a new 14 oz. grease gun because I can't find the yamaha goop in 3 oz. cartridges?  That would suck due to the fact that I just bought a 3oz. for Alan's new grease packers (That I'm dying to try out!)  Ugggh!  Thanks
Dom

dom, it's really a mess, but this might be the best way.  get a 3 ounce tube of anything cheap, then push out all the grease with an old wadded up paper towel.  now pack the tube with yamaha marine grease.  yup, it will be messy as hell!   sorry.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Drill and tap a hole in the head of your small grease gun and put a zerk in it.  Now fill it with a large grease gun.  Clean and easy.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

broadway

Thanks for the advice guys.  I'm gonna take Alan's recommendation because I already started to empty the cartridge-DIRTY business I'll tell ya, but it'll work.  Thanks
Dom

Wolli

Alan,
i am happily retired in my spare time i am working a little in advertising for the angler market for the German manufacturer and worldwide exporter of CorrosionX products (www.scandex.de)
For some months they have a new product "CorrosionX Grease". Its an ultra-high performance grease NLGI classification II,
+ 2000 hr saltwater spray tested and perfect in any corrosive environments. (windpower plants in corrosive environments and any maritime applications). It contains no wax, tar, silicone or other solids and will not gum-up.

Due to its soft consistence i tested it together with some fishing friends in our reels over weeks and it works fine!

At the moment sold in 400g tubes to the industry only, but if there is a real market (+1000 tubes), they will produce small 3 oz tubes too.

Ill check the MSDS, and in case the stuff is not classified by ICAO, ill send you on private account a sample for additional testing purposes. Keep you posted.

Wolli

love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

Bryan Young

Quote from: Keta on April 27, 2010, 11:08:18 PM
Drill and tap a hole in the head of your small grease gun and put a zerk in it.  Now fill it with a large grease gun.  Clean and easy.
That's a good idea.  The head of the small grease gun should be the same size of the zerk thread.  Just need to make sure that the spring plunger is pulled back when you are doing this.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Quote from: BryanYoung on April 28, 2010, 03:22:52 PM
Just need to make sure that the spring plunger is pulled back when you are doing this.
The plunger on my large grease guns gets pushed back by the grease, I haven't tried it with my small one.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bigfish

My adaptor arrived this morning after being delayed by th Icelandic volcano  ;D ;D

wish I was fishing

Nothing makes a fish BIGGER than almost being caught! .

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Keta on April 27, 2010, 11:08:18 PM
If drilling and tapping a hole in the small grease gun head isn't an option for whatever reason, I bought a brass 1/8" street elbow and inserted that between the big grease gun head and the grease pipe. I pump the grease into the cartridge cavity of the small gun; the head of the small gun is off and the plunger is pulled back. Oh yeah, take the zerk nozzle off the big gun also.

It goes pretty fast and not messy either.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Wolli

Hi Alan,
have been informed that the new CX Grease is not restricted by ICAO/IATA and can be shipped by regular mail.
In case you are interested to test the stuff, provide me with your postal address and ill send you a sample next week.

Regards, and have a fine weekend

Wolli

love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

turboal

Alan, who makes the grease gun you use ? where can i get one ?

dylan

Alan,
Thanks for the response re: type of grease.  I'm an engineer and new at cleaning/repairing reels (10 or 15 so far) ...that's a dangerous combination that tends to lead to overthinking.

turboal -- there's a nice small grease gun available at home depot.  it comes with a zerk - needle fitting.  that's what I'm using. 

Note to all:  don't open your grease gun to verify what type you have in it.  Don't ask me how I know this.   ::)