Power pro (spectra) vs Dyneema

Started by Dwbuzzard, October 20, 2013, 10:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Pearl

Quote from: Dynamo on October 25, 2013, 07:09:38 PM
"Dyneema is just an oversized sewing thread."

You forgot the "usually" from my post :o! Usually when people want to buy dyneema braid, they do it because it is cheaper than brand name braid. Most cheap dyneema braids are made of cotton or some other cheap fabric, hence the comparison to sewing thread. Are they really sewing thread, just made larger? Nope, but its made very similarly, and is thus similarly useless for fishing applications. Some Dyneema braid is good, I bet. But most, NOT. Hope that answers your question.

"Dynamo real spectra and Dynema floats" (by Bunnlevel).

Er, I was talking about the cheap alternative to brand-name spectra, the Free fisher enterprise braid I was talking about, not dyneema itself. Read my post again. I've had bad experiences with cheap line like dyneema, so have a lot of people apparently. That's why I posted at all. Have you ever used in fact the cheap china made dyneema braid? Cause I'd bet anybody that most dyneema brands on Ebay and Amazon will perform terribly. (Terrible fray factor, breaks way under manufacture's listed number, Very soft and unravels, dye comes out and stains, etcetera.) Usually, you get what you pay for.

Here is what I know. On Ebay, even if the seller (usually in China) will state that the line is Dyneema, but it is not made with Dyneema. It is the same that a seller states that it is made with Spectra, but it is made with Chinese PE line.

My Dyneema supplier told me that if I feel the Dyneema line is too expensive, I can always go with Chinese PE lines. The cost is like 85% cheaper than the Japanese Dyneema (SK-71).

There is another thing, too. Even if a line is made with Dyneema, that line can not use Dyneema name on its label because it will require to pay some fees to DSM Dyneema company in Netherlands.

cathauler65

Not aiming to be in any way rascist. Just observing that there is a lot of lookalike goods coming out of China that are not of good quality

cathauler65

Have used PowerPro in various BS: 30, 40, 65, 80, 100 & 200Lb for pretty much all my fishing for last 10 years. Have NEVER had an unexplainable breakage. Mind you, I buy my line from US or UK sellers at a realistic price compared to the RRP & I am paranoid about the quality of my knots and every aspect of my gear.

Dynamo

I've observed that as well, Cathauler65. Mr. Chui, I know is that there are many brands of cheap braid coming out of China w. the word "dyneema" on them. Some examples: "Superpower Dyneema Fiber", "Seahunter dyneema", "Estone dyneema", "Sporaub dyneema", "Ohero braided dyneema", "Skysper dyneema", "Pex dyneema", "Posiedon dyneema", and the list goes on and on, some simply labeled w. "Strong dyneema fishing", or something of that sort. I've learned to grow wary of those sort of products. All of the brands I have listed feature "dyneema" on the product description and product label and box. They might pay a company to have the word "dyneema" on their product but that doesn't mean the product is good. Nor does it mean they are all bad, and there are a lot of knock-off braids without "dyneema" on the label, but I won't speak of those because the thread is supposed to be about PP vs dyneema. DWbuzzard, feel free to buy dyneema but be wary.

Black Pearl

No, what I meant was that if a product states that it is made with Dyneema, but it is not at all.

For instance, the following line stated that it is made with Spectra. Do you think so?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PELAGIC-EXTREME-SPECTRA-BRAID-Fishing-Line-100lb-1200m-/331048723724?pt=AU_Accessories_Tackle&hash=item4d140aa50c

Bunnlevel Sharker

Uk PP is made in a different factory I'm pretty sure. Why wold you use 18lbs of drag to spool a lx? Pushed the reels to full to stop a BT and popped mid line
Grayson Lanier

Dynamo

(Qoute) "No, what I meant was that if a product states that it is made with Dyneema, but it is not at all.

For instance, the following line stated that it is made with Spectra. Do you think so?"

I understand, but DWbuzzard was talking about the dyneema braids that are cheap, im pretty sure. I know they're not made of dyneema, they are made of cotton and other such cheap fibers. But they are known as and called dyneema, probably for marketing reasons. Bunnlevel, what are you trying to say ??? :-\?

Bunnlevel Sharker

Why would the line break while spooling a reel with 6lbs, when it broke only when pushed to over 15. I have seen a few good batches, bu the again I saw 30lb jb get hung on a pylon with a big tarpon, get free and still land the fish. My rod belt still has a mark from the fight
Grayson Lanier

Dwbuzzard

so the stuff from daiwa is dyneema, is it sub standard to spectra power pro?

Bunnlevel Sharker

Nope, it's good braid, real dynema. I saw some on a reel on two different piers, and it is super smooth
Grayson Lanier

Reinaard van der Vossen

Gentlemen, Dyneema and Spectra is the same material. (UHMWPE)

What the fishing line manufacturer claims what his fishing line is made from is something totally different.

There are cheap asian knock-off that mention dyneema, there are cheap asian knock-off that mention spectra. Both can be bad.

When they use the correct material and use the correct production methods it really does not matter whether they take the stuff produced in the US (honneywell), the Netherlands (DSM) or Japan (Toyobo)

Yes, there is an SK60 and an SK71 type fiber for Dyneema and if i'm not mistaken than honeywell has the S900 and S1000 series of fibers. There are differences within the series but for fishing lines you are limited.

I think that at this moment Dyneema has a nose length advantage going up to tensile strengths of 4GPa where the Spectra currently stops at 3,68 GPa. Next month it might be different again. although major breakthroughs are probably not to be expected on short notice

People who say that either dyneema or spectra is much better than the other should get their facts right.

That you have been sold something that is not true by a fishing line vendor is something different.

Edit: the price which you pay for a fishing line has, unfortunately, no direct link to the used materials. It might be true that a quality line requires a certain price and cannot be made under a certain cost level. The price of the raw material is only a small portion of the price you will pay. A cheap line therefore can be made out of real dyneema or spectra. I had some tested and the strenth/diameter ratio confirmed that it can only be dyneema (or spectra). However the braiding was rough and therefore the prediction is that the line will probably last not as long as a quality braid but there was nothing wrong with the initial strength of the line.

Edit2: A couple of years ago (2009-2010) I had my first unfavourable experience with a braided line (one of the big american brands) and investigated the matter for my own relief. The following graphs are derrived from my "hobby" investigations. The raw data is not mine as I have no such measuring equipment but from the earlier mentioned site "Just fishing".
Sample sizes should secure some credibility for the statements

What you can see from the graph is that for the stated strength/thickness some lines should be made of material that is three times stronger than dyneema/spectra (I'm not yet aware of the existence of such material)

In the measured strength and measured thickness graph some lines might be badly braided or might not use dyneema/spectra

Edit3: All dyneema and spectra is also PE, it just happens to be of a special type: UHMWPE (Ultra high molecular weight polyethylene)

Normslanding

The post above this one is right on. There is a supplier that sells 4, 6, and 8 strand PE on ebay. The price is according to the weaving cost. I have in the past tried to fish only hollow line. But after much research into size, cost, hype, and quality I now use a great deal of this suppliers line. It is good stuff, at a great price. Several guys that fish Long Range out of San Diego are using solid PE of about 150yds. on top of there hollow. This is being done for economics, is is considered disposable due to cost. This supplier is in China, and All my solid PE is from them. One thing to be aware of is they supply line all over the world to many markets. So they have line that breaks below (IGFA) and above the stated strength. I am not supporting this company, I am trying to clarify the fact that there are good products that do not have the big advertising. There are some big name products that are hype and junk. Do some home work it pays off.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Normslanding on January 08, 2014, 03:52:33 PM
The post above this one is right on. There is a supplier that sells 4, 6, and 8 strand PE on ebay. The price is according to the weaving cost. I have in the past tried to fish only hollow line. But after much research into size, cost, hype, and quality I now use a great deal of this suppliers line. It is good stuff, at a great price. Several guys that fish Long Range out of San Diego are using solid PE of about 150yds. on top of there hollow. This is being done for economics, is is considered disposable due to cost. This supplier is in China, and All my solid PE is from them. One thing to be aware of is they supply line all over the world to many markets. So they have line that breaks below (IGFA) and above the stated strength. I am not supporting this company, I am trying to clarify the fact that there are good products that do not have the big advertising. There are some big name products that are hype and junk. Do some home work it pays off.

I think you may of stated this backwords.
Most of the LR guys that use solid and hollow combinations run solid first then add hollow on top for splicing, to make loops for L2L leader/topshots, Sato crimping and such.

pcde123

can anyone recommend me to some NICE braid, dyneema or spectra , ive been using power pro and it just isnt cutting it, trying out tufline xp and seaguar braid and their decent. i dont want anything hollow core

Bryan Young

What # Test?  I would recommend ProChallenger (Alan Chiu's), Jerry Brown, and I like Izorline too.  Oh, and also spiderwire.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D