Spinning reel bearings: Grease or oil?

Started by redrooster, May 08, 2016, 05:18:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redrooster

i'm in the process of cleaning and relubing an old Dam reel. Grease was pretty stiff. I was surprised to see the main bearing in grease. I thought they would just have been oiled. So pack the bearings with grease or just oil? On my bait asters it's clearer .... Grease on the gears and mechanisms and often oil the bearings. What about spinners? Many conflicting opinions on online of course! Thanks.

philaroman

stick w/ good grease for max protection/longevity.  oil is for baitcaster spool bearings -- there is nothing in a spinning reel that even comes close to the same RPM's, except maybe the line roller.  for EXTREMELY COLD weather, I may add a few tiny drops of oil externally (esp. the roller) only because I'm too lazy to "winterize" w/ lighter grease, for just a couple brief winter outings.

Alto Mare

I've compared both. To me, a spinner with oil on the spool bearing is much smoother, but only when not under stress. A reel with greased spool bearing is much smoother when under stress...retrieving a fish.
My type of fishing does not require crazy long casts, all my bearings on my spinners are greased, but the grease is thinner than the one on my conventional reels.
Most like to mix a little reel-X with the grease to make it thinner, I use power steering fluid. Don't laugh, this suggestion came  from a gentleman that has been fishing way longer than me and has been working just fine  ;D.
You will get much better protection with grease.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

cbar45

Like many reels, the old Dam Quick's came with bearings that were only partially greased--such that they still retain a bit of "free spinning" feel.

Packing them full of grease (as you would on a conventional) is likely to result in the handle being harder to tun. Especially if the Quick is a high-speed model.

To remedy that, I do as Sal suggests and lube them instead with a mix of grease cut with a compatible oil.

One of the old-time fishermen showed me years ago how to make a mix using automotive grease and hydraulic jack oil. A very thin grease--on its own--will work as well.

Cone

I grease my bearings with Yamaha grease thinned with CorrosionX.  The reels may be a little harder to spin but only slightly. I really cant tell for sure.  The grease in the bearings protects them and makes it a little harder for salt water to enter the gearcase. The only bearings I've changed on a spinner in years have been when I've bought a used one.  ;D  My reels get splashed and drenched with salt spray. I do rinse them but rarely open them unless they get dumked. On the ss reels it may even help keep the bail from tripping on a cast if its a little harder to turn. Just a thought.
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

johndtuttle

Freshwater guys will routinely oil their handle and pinion bearings for as light a feel as they can get. Corrosion is almost unheard of given the environment.

Saltwater guys should be using light grease in their bearings, unless they are very vigilant. One trip and then storage for 6 months can easily lead to a frozen with corrosion reel that was not properly prepped.