bearing packer (mm and inch), adaptor and needle kit - back in stock 7/23/2020

Started by alantani, April 07, 2010, 05:49:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Alan, I just finished servicing a Penn 9500SS and was laughing to my self. I was amazed that the packer actually worked on the line roller bearing. I'm impressed! That bearing can't be more that a 1/4 of an inch in size.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

I'm online all the time... anything I can help ya with  let me know.
Dom

mako42

Hello from El Paso, Texas.  This is my first post and I must say that since discovering this forum I have spent many late late nights reading and learning from all of the members, and of course, Alan.  I have learned that I can breathe new life into my tired old shimano, penn, and ambassadeur reels, and in some cases make them even better than new.  That, to me, is Awsome!  And now, my question(s).  I know Alan's mantra about opening up the bearings because of the air pockets and the poor greasing they get from the factory, and letting the water out.  Then I read about how good this bearing packer works with the shields on, and how it eliminates those air pockets.  I'm not talking about the spool bearings.  Does this change the game for the non spool bearings?  If you had guaranteed fully packed non spool bearings with the shields on, would that be preferable to fully packed non shielded bearings?  Would you lose reel performance with non spool bearings left shielded?  Could salt water still intrude into the fully packed shielded bearing?  Would it be ok with trolling reels, but not high performance casting reels? 
Tight Lines,
David

Norcal Pescador

First off, welcome to the forum, David.
It sounds like you've done A LOT of reading here. Let me summarize what I think are your questions.
Spool bearings - If the reels isn't used for trolling, remove the shields, lightly oil with tsi301, 321, ReelX, CorrosionX, or something similar. Leave the shields off. If used for trolling, pack 100% with grease and leave the shields on.
All other bearings - Pack 100% percent with grease and keep the shields on, if possible. Yamha Marine grease, Cal's, Penn XR-1 are most often used for this.
If you leave the shields off of greased bearings, they may fling grease out allowing pockets to occur that could trap water.
Hope this helps.
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Bryan Young

Unfortunately, with some Shimano reels, there are now shieldless, and you will just have to deal with it with grease and unshielded bearings.  Just continue to pack them as you would and when they need replacing (if they need replaceing), buy shielded bearings and pack them with grease.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mako42

Thanks for the responses.  I am looking forward to trying out those bearing packers.   
David

Nuvole

I've received mine far across the pond. I look at that piece of tools and must recommend that you should consider making reel under your name.

Cheers mate, not many people make solid nice tools that way you did it ;-)

P.S: My "The Greaser" will sonn make its way back to ebay.

Gman_WC

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 09, 2011, 10:49:06 AM
Alan, I have a gun similar to the one you're showing with the yamalube sticker, I would like to keep that one for the bearing packer. It would be nice to have another gun like the one you're showing below, with the trigger in front for everything else. I can't seem to find it around here, could you let me know where you got yours from? Thanks, Sal

Sal, I found mine at Napa auto parts. $13...The price was right so I bought two. -g
Walnut Creek, CA

Alto Mare

Thanks for the tip Gary. Last week I was at Wallmart getting my boat fishing licence and I spotted the gun on the shelf, I think the price was $3.99 so I also bought two. I already used them on some of my reels, they make the job so much easier. Thanks for thinking of me, Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Gman_WC

Okay, I have my grease guns. One for the packer and one for the needle, and the deluxe AT bearing packers
Having not used the packer before, what is the correct procedure packing the bearing?
Should the bearing be placed on the pyramid and covered with the top section attached to the gun?
I'm planning on getting started this weekend.
Thanks - gary
Walnut Creek, CA

Bryan Young

Gary, it doesn't matter if you put the bearing in the cup or on the pyramid as long as it fits.  I've been finding that some of the bearings fit in the metric cup and I use the standard pyramid and visa versa.  It just sometimes fits better with a tighter seal.  You will find the method you will like best.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Gman_WC

I tried the standard packer (with the line) on bearings for 113h lastnight.
Is this the correct one to use. It's my first and hard to tell without not knowing what
to look for or expect -g
Walnut Creek, CA

Bryan Young

Hi G,

Sorry, Your response didn't even show up on my unread posts.  When using the bearing packer, you will see the grease coming out between the inner race and the shield.  I give it a little more while turning the bearing and back, then I'm done.

Bryan

alantani

yes, that is correct.  you should see a little grease squeezing out as well. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Hey Alan, Let's video the bearing packer in action on a half open and a sealed bearing so that everyone can see it in action.  I'll be sure to bring my camera on Saturday.