bearing packer (mm and inch), adaptor and needle kit - back in stock 7/23/2020

Started by alantani, April 07, 2010, 05:49:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tiddlerbasher

Asbo75

Hi Alan,

I want one. I'm from Malaysia; do you reckoned it can be shipped internationally during these challenging time?

Best regards,
Asbo
Asbo

alantani

it can be shipped, but the cost of shipping with tracking is almost prohibitive.  if it is shipped first class without tracking, it's only about $24 usd to ship, so the total cost would be about $84 usd.  if that's ok, send me a pm with your full shipping info and cell # and i can get you the exact cost of shipping.  thanks!  alan

Rocket Dog

JK47

Quote from: alantani on April 07, 2010, 05:49:51 AM
i'm out of stock and i'm not sure if or when i will reorder.......

i've had so many guys ask, that i finally had my friend make up a bunch of adaptors for those small grease guns.    

i also ordered a whole bunch of inflator needles and cut the tips off with my dremmel.  

an adaptor and 4-5 inflator needles will sell for $5 plus $3 for shipping included.  these needles make quick work of greasing screw holes.

i've also come to realize how vulnerable bearings are.  a bearing with a seal or a shield held in by a retaining ring can be opened up, hand packed with grease and then re-sealed or re-shielded.  if your bearing has a pressed-in metal shield. the only way to pack it with grease used to require that you remove one of the shields and press the grease in with your thumb.  when you're trying to service a half dozen lever drag reels in one afternoon, packing bearings with your thumbs gets really old.  that's where a bearing packer comes in handy.  i had tom make these as well.  he wanted to make them out of less expensive aluminum, but i said brass.  i just like the look!  

i've been using these for the last month and have been actually quite pleased with myself!  the bearing packer on the left is stepped ever sixteenth of an inch and will accomodate a 1/16ths inch ID to a 1-1/8ths inch OD.  the bearing packer on the right is stepped every millimeter from a 2mm ID to a 26mm OD.  these are designed to accomodate all of the bearings sizes commonly encountered in fishing reels.

the standard bearing packer has a ring and the metric bearing packer is plain.  both are tapped on top to 1/8th inch pipe thread and have a zerx fitting (which i do not particularly like).

the bearings really fit nicely!  i think this is much better than the flat cone that is more commonly seen.

the 1/8th inch pipe fitting is common for small grease guns available in the united states.  i prefer to bypass the zerx fitting all together and just bolt the bearing packer directly to the grease gun.  these bearing packers allow you to force grease into a bearing without removing the shield.  it is MUCH quicker.  i'm going to sell the bearing packers for $25 each.  so basically, i am selling a metric bearing packer, a standard inch bearing packer, a nozzle adaptor, and needles for $60 with US shipping.  that's the cost of 5 average shimano bearings!

now for the mea culpa.  i've been using this yamaha grease for a long time now and i purchase it from the local grady dealership.  they had the big cartridges, the small cartridges and the 1 pound cans at the beginning.  for the last few years, they've only had the large cartridges.  so i finally asked the guy, "so what's up?  why don't you carry the small 3 ounce cartridges or the 1 pound cans anymore?"  the answer surprised the hell out of me.  apparently the marine grease is only packed in 14 ounce cartridges.  the others are not marine grade.  they're still blue, but they're intended for motorcycles and snow mobiles!!!!!!  

the greases are both the same, except that the marine grease has an additive that makes it salt water resistant.  

if you want a 3 ounce cartridge of yamaha marine, you have to take an old paper cartridge of any old grease, clean it out really well and then hand pack it with the grease from the 14 ounce cartridge.  trust me, it's a real mess.  your other option is this stuff.  this is evinrude-johnson's marine grease.  it's a little thicker and alot more tackier than the yamaha product, but you have none of the mess.  

here's what they look like side by side.  either way, they will both work fine.  alan

I was dreading transferring my Yamalube from the 14oz tube into the 3oz tube as I was waiting for the bearing packer to arrive. After a day or two I thought about the old school icing dispenser that Mom used to decorate cakes... https://www.amazon.com/Unetox-Decorating-Supplies-Dispensers-Professional/dp/B07K8H3WWH I didn't use this one, it's just and example. I taped a heavy duty ziploc bag over one end of the 14oz tube and cut a small hole in the corner, then pushed the Yamalube into the bag with a few bunched up paper towels and a screwdriver (also handy for cleaning out the old grease from the 3oz tube). Not 100% clean, but less messy than using a spoon and smothering it into the smaller tube.

steelfish

Yep, after many years now Im part of the selected Club of owners of these perfected machined tools.

they look like belong to a jewelry glass shelf and not to a greasy reel shop

The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

For a one time purchase, very nicely made, not having to mess with removing shields it can be time saver... Jeff

nuckz23

Anymore of these available? I would like the large handle for my penn fathom 25.

alantani

Pierce

Hi Alan,

How much is a set ship to Brunei?  I need one set for my bearing greasing without removing the shields.  Thanks

alantani

Not sure about the cost of shipping,  but it can be up to $30. I'll be back in a week.  If you send me your full mailing address and cell number,  I can figure out the cost.

Kuro

The tools arrived quickly and the quality is pure perfectionism.

I'm using these to pack my 3802 2RS bearings. I used a little help from my glue press but it's not perfect. I would have and planning to do wooden jigs and change the grease nipple to 90-degree version so I can use the bench vise. It doesnt need much force but it's much easier when you have the bearing and the tools attached to something.

89C20298-A9D7-4976-A7FF-1B685DEF0A98.jpeg

AF1CF109-B9DC-4B34-A97F-215A75C122D3.jpeg

alantani

i am sending out my last bearing packer kit in tomorrow's mail.  i let cortez conversion know that i am out.  it may be a while before he can get to them. 

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL