trinidad 40/50 anti-reverse spring installation - 10/24/2013

Started by alantani, October 25, 2013, 03:07:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

trinidad 40/50 anti-reverse spring installation - 10/24/2013

been meaning to post these photos for a long time.  you need a dremel with a cut off wheel to make the cuts in the baseplate so that the springs sit flat on the baseplate.

the pawl sits on the stainless steel post.  the spring sits around the post.  there are ridges on the baseplate that keep the spring from sitting flat and those are the ones that need to be cut away.   the spring on the right side is placed in the exact same way as the trinidad and torium 16, 20 and 30. 

the spring placement on the left is something that i had struggled with for quite a while.  i finally realized that i could keep hacking away and get the spring in a spot that would exactly match the relative position of the right handl spring.

if you look closely, you can see the ridge that is sticking up between the stainless steel center post and the screw hole at the 10 o'clock position.  that ridge needs to be dremelled away.

ahhh, perfect!

and that is how you install the springs on a trinidad 40 or 50!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ballsie1

Hi guys,
I'm having trouble with my torium 50 anti reverse sting fouling under the pawl. This happens when the gear tooth is at its longest and the Spring is slipping under the dawg.its the side that is the same as the 20/30.
This is the second set of Spring/dawg setups I've tried, with the first breaking at the 90• bend
As I think it was trapped under the dawg or gear with a high drag setting.

2nd question Alan, is that a common change out under the gear shaft to remove the tiny plastic washer for the other material. I haven't seen it mentioned before...
Thanks ben

alantani

make sure you have enough clearance around the stainless steel post.  you may have to cut away at some of the alumuinum to give the spring enough clearance.  that might be your problem.  if this doesn't work, send some photos and i'll take a look.

Ballsie1

I'll post some pics after work, but it seams to me when I rotate pawl and Spring to engage on the gear the dawg has enough play to let the spring under tension to slip under and wedge on the dawg or even slip past the other side of the dog, rendering it useless.
Note I have two 30 and another 50 that I haven't had issues with.

Ballsie1

Problem found. So out of all 4 of my torium 30's and 50's all are spring loaded dawg. This is the only one I have had troubles with and its because the spring is slipping under the pawl. Looks like it's time to add that spacer to them all.

Ballsie1

Ok this reel is till not working correctly

Hi guys I have 1 of my 4 torium's and the only one to have faults after the spring upgrade.2 x 30 and 2 x 50.

The reel is a torium 50 that has drag upgrade existing, a new roll tube and one way roller, and twin dc pawl Spring set up that is still playing up. The anti reverse slipping and also the dog's not engaging as they should.

Any thoughts???

When turning the handle ( u can hear both spring loaded dogs engaging fine) and stopping suddenly the spool will still spin, clunk clunk clunk and then finally the dogs engage.

I have a video but it won't accept the iPhone format

alantani

tacoma09

Where can I find that spring? I've looked around and it's obsolete.

steelfish

Quote from: tacoma09 on September 01, 2022, 05:32:37 PMWhere can I find that spring? I've looked around and it's obsolete.

they're unobtanium, your best bet is to find someone that could made them, if you have luck, return and sell them here
The Baja Guy