How to remove

Started by Bunnlevel Sharker, October 29, 2013, 02:37:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MFB

If you put a run of weld around the inside of the outer race it will shrink it (when cold) & should just tap out.

Rgds

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

DaBigOno

Grayson,

Did you ever get this bearing out? 

If so, can you please update us as to how you did it.  What tool(s) or technique(s).

If not, please post a pic so we can have a look-see..

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

JGB

Removal of stuck right side plate bearing:
The following works much better than expected.
Many times the bearing bore is tight to begin with (especially the black anodize). To remove try the following:
First simply rap the side plate sharply on a hard flat surface. Hit the surface square so as to not damage the side plate (this is how Avet does it). If this does not work go to the next step:
2 remove the plastic lever stops and heat the side plate bearing bore from the outside. It does not take much heat. When you begin to feel the side plate get warm to the touch (unheated areas) it is  heated more than needed. Rap the side plat on a hard flat surface and the bearing usually just drops out. You can also pop the bearing out with a extraction tool (the ground screw thing or a small bent screw diver).

Jim N.

JGB

Removal of stuck reel seat screws:

These can be tough and often the small hex head will round out before it breaks loose.
Avet used a lock sealant that make the screw harder to turn and if it is salted in it gets very tight.

In severe cases try the following:
Warning there is the possibility that you may permanently damage the frame. Some times it is better to leave a stuck screw in place
if it does not affect the ability to service the reel. The best solution is to service these screws when the reel is new.

Apply PB blaster or some other penetrate to the screw head, reel seat and the threads on the inside of the frame.
Heat with a pencil (pointed flame) torch applied directly to the screw head and the threads on the inside of the frame.

The entire frame will heat quickly so be careful. Try to move the screw both tightening and loosening to break the salt crystals and
work the screw loose alternating between loosening and tightening. If you round out the hex the dremel a slot. If it breaks off drill it out undersized (so you don't drill the threads) and then tap the drilled screw and the shell of the old screw will usually collapse  and screw out the back side of the bore.

Jim N

Bunnlevel Sharker

Thanks Jim i got the reel seat screws im workin on the bearing if i cant get it another member has offered to help. Im sepersted from all my stuff for the next few weeks when i get back to it
Grayson Lanier

Jon_Kol

Been a while since I was here, but this post caught my attention.

Bunnlevel Sharker, you're facing the same problem which I faced earlier this year. I was pulling my hair out cos of that bearing race being stuck, but following the detailed replies I got here, the race finally gave in to cold + heat.

I wrote about it in this thread: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=7084.0

Hope you'll be able to get that race out when you're looking at your reel the next time.

RTT

First post here and just wanted to thank everyone for the knowledge that I gained form this site.  It gave me the confidence to start to tear down a few reels and I have the same problems with the bearings as you do.  I have found that a cork screw helps to remove some of those tough bearing. 

Ray

floating doc

Quote from: RTT on February 04, 2014, 12:07:03 AM
First post here and just wanted to thank everyone for the knowledge that I gained form this site.  It gave me the confidence to start to tear down a few reels and I have the same problems with the bearings as you do.  I have found that a cork screw helps to remove some of those tough bearing. 

Ray

Hey, welcome aboard, and good tip on the corkscrew!
Central Florida

LTM

Welcome Ray,

Just how are you going about using that coiled pointed-end piece of metal to remove a stuck bearing.

Thanx,

Leo

RTT

Leo

I place the point under the bearing let's say a 9 o'clock and pry a little at opposite side, 3 o'clock.   I keep moving around the bearing using this technique.

I only used the cork screw that was on my Swiss Army knife, after a long list of other tools failed. 

I hope this helps,
Ray

Ron Jones

That's perfect, definatly have to try that one.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"