Need advice on a small bottom fishing reel

Started by Russ57, April 09, 2010, 05:57:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger

Nobody has mentioned the 320GTi. Which I think has everything you need for a small bottom fishing reel.........

Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

Ellis Feibush

Hi Russ - I'm a newbie to these posts, but I just recently took apart one of my Daiwa reels that might fit the bill for you. The reel is a Daiwa conventional  model No. 40 HSD. I have it loaded with 25# Ande line and it holds a substantial amount of line. It is extremely easy to service and not too expensive. Look for it on ebay. I'm not sure if it's still available as a current Daiwa product.

Ellis Feibush

This is a question for reply No. 4. Hi Norcal - I'm a newbie to these forums but have a problem for your post and especially for most of the information I have gathered from Alan's blogs. I have just started doing what you suggested with new and old reels. I have tried replaceing the stock drag washers with Carbontex washers. Eventhough I have taken these reels apart with great care, lubed  all parts correctly, I am very disatisfied with the drag performance with Carbontex washers. These washers are supposed to be "state of the art" , but I find them very jerky and inconsistant. Anybody else out there have similar problems?  The extreme smoothies in my Daiwa baitcasters are excellent; very smooth and able to take substantial amounts of drag. It's a very frustrating situation for me. I have tried slathering Cals grease on the washers and then have tried fingerprinting grease on the washers, but to no avail. Still very jerky drags. Years ago when Penn came out with their ht-100 washers I tried them out in my Jigmasters. Same results. Jerky drags. What's the story here. Is there some secret I don't know. Everyone raves about this drag material. I think it stinks. I just can't seem to get it right. Any suggestions?

alantani

ellis, you're doing something wrong.  ship the reels to me and let me take a look........
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ellis Feibush

alan, thank you for your response. My answer for this has been emailed from my web address elsewhere.

alantani

that's fine, i still want to see these reels.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Phinaddict

Hi Ellis,
   It sounds like you have good luck with Extreme Smoothies and are satisfied with them.   Why not put them in the reels that have been giving you problems?
The Two Rules of Success:
1. Don't tell everything you know

Ellis Feibush

Thanks Allan for your serious suggestion re: sending my reels to you. It's very kind of you to suggest that, however if you opened up my reels (15 of which I just serviced) you would find them spotless; ie all bearings lubed, gears lubed with Daiwa, Shimano or Cal's and carbontex washers installed in most.  All parts in excellent condition. As I alluded to in another post, I believe the culprit here was self inflicted, as my post servicing test of the drag smoothness of these reels was too demanding. I have modified the test to be a bit more realistic and the drags are satisfactory. Should I have further problems I will be sure to post them. Sorry to have caused such a hornet's nest. Didn't realise that would happen. Your tutorials are wonderful and I continue to read them as the best online source for fishing reel repair.

Pacific Fisher

I have been getting very good service from Shimano Star 15/30, 20/40 reels. A few years ago I needed to service some and was happy to discover Alan's great tips on drag upgrades and just how well built these relatively small reels are.