? about 113h main gear

Started by SacFly, November 01, 2013, 03:23:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SacFly

I'm working on a 113h that i got from a friend.  I'm pretty sure the reel hasn't been touched in 20 years.  It has the old style open drag stack.  It appears that the main gear is SS.  The dog and gear sleeve are both brass.  Isn't the stock main gear supposed to be brass as well?

I know that there is a SS main gear option with a higher ratio. This is an upgrade that I'm considering, I'm just trying to figure out if I somehow already have that.  Were there ever SS gears available that were not high speed?  Is there any way to tell?

RowdyW

Hi, early models had hardened steel gears not S/S. To find out the ratio of your gears just divide the number of teeth on the pinion into the number of teeth on the main gear.   Rudy

SacFly

Thanks a lot.  I'll bet that's what this is.  It's clearly not brass, it's an older reel, and my buddy was not a modder.

Shark Hunter

I prefer the older steel gears myself compared to Brass. You Just have to Grease them up good!
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

I believe that there were SS gears made for the anniversary specials that split over into normal production runs.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

There were in fact SS 3.2 gears made by Penn. I have a set and like them a lot. Especially in something like a Broadbill special that has the capacity for heavier line.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bunnlevel Sharker

If you want brass I will trade you, I can throw in some more if you would like
Grayson Lanier

john2244

The quick and simple way to determine the approx gear ratio of a reel is to turn the handle around one time and count how many time the spool spin around.  The accurate way is to tear the reel down and count to number of teeth on the main and pinion as stated above.

John