Everol 14/0

Started by Shark Hunter, November 04, 2013, 07:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Everol Italy was a Pleasure to deal with. I talked to a Gentleman name Paolo.
My Handle and stand are on the way. I forwarded the bill to the seller. He paid it and gave me a little extra. Now to make sure the reel is OK inside.
I removed the two speed and was surprised to see brass dogs.
The high and low speed pinions are made into the spool shaft as one piece. It is Hex shaped on one end to mate with the spool and the drags. Solid stainless.
A better shot of those squared off dogs. Riding on stainless pins. Every other part of this reel is stainless or aluminum. I'm not an engineer. :-\
When you remove the handle plate, it all makes sense. Simple rugged design.
The massive drag discs are attached to the spool, the drag lever applies pressure to the springs and discs. Giant Bearings countersunk in the spool and the side plate.
Everol's version of a clicker.

I did all this after work last night. I will go through the transmission after I get some rest.
If the gears look as good as the rest of the reel. I got a keeper! ;D
Life is Good!

Aiala

Quote from: Shark Hunter on August 22, 2015, 06:09:16 PM
I'm not an engineer. :-\

Really?? Geez, y'could've fooled me.  ;)

The Godfather is looking awesome! Can't wait till you test it out on a HUGE grinner.  ;D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Tightlines667

Daron,

Beautiful looking reel, I am sure you will be happy with it's performance.  Hopefully you hook into something capable of giving the reel a workout someday.  Great that Everol Italy took good care of you.  My experience with Everol USA was good as well, just need to call and get someone on the phone.  Sounds like you decided new harness lugs were unecessary?

I don't need to tell you to make sure to grease all metal surfaces and pack those bearings full of grease.  There are alot of different types of metal surfaces in contact with one another in the drive, and gear boxes, and those small bearings are mounted in relatively thin aluminum.  Simple, rugged design..yes and no.  Rugged, and relatively simple, but I have seen older reels with excessive corrosion and some wear.

I believe if you maintain these properly, they should last several lifetimes, if not..lucky to get a decade of corrosion before you've got major issues.

Keep the pics comming.  Be forwarned, getting the spool shaft back in later, after disassembling the drag stack xan he a bit tricky at times.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

handi2

I can see already it's a winner..!! Keep track of all the springs in the drag system.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Tightlines667

Quote from: handi2 on August 23, 2015, 12:27:11 AM
I can see already it's a winner..!! Keep track of all the springs in the drag system.

X2

I think you can actually add and subtract springs, and modify the config to change the drag curve, but don't.  Make sure the spool is sitting upright, when you pull the retainer ring, and take a picture of the arrangement once you've removed all ofvthe outter components. 
Hope springs eternal

Shark Hunter

My main goal here was to make sure this reel was undamaged and ready to fish.
I see no reason to take apart the stack, since no line or drag was ever applied to this reel.
I just think someone bought it. Played with it a lot and ended up pawning it.
The gears look good. I inspected them with a magnifier.
This is where this reel gets its power. Massive gears.
Sorry for the lack of pictures on reassembly, but I was pretty nervous.
I took all my concentration.
I managed to get it back together with no problems.
I think the only thing I did wrong was throw off the drag scale, but that doesn't worry me much.
I will take it apart again after I fish it.
Thanks for all the inspiration and Everol Italy for the only ones that came through.
Until my new handle and stand comes, it will be the center piece. ;)
It really shines with some penn blue on the exterior. ;D
Life is Good!

Superhook

Good work on that Monster Daron.  Don't forget your BLACK hat and shirt when you fish this bad boy.

Shark Hunter

Thank You Ray. I already have a "Got Godfather?" shirt picked out. ;)
Life is Good!

Sharkin904

I'd just like to see one in person someday. Hope you hook into something you'll need it with!

Aiala

Surely the Godfather will rate the Mother Of All Plinths!  :D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Tightlines667

Reel looks to be in basically unused condition.

However, if it were me, I would pull all the bearings and pack them with grease, and get a light coat of grease around them before reistalling.  Many are already a tight fit, and the dissimilar metals in close contact, mixed with saltwater pose a risk of electrolysis.  That bronze bushing pressed into the aluminum housing is prone to this issue in particular.  The gears look a bit dry too, but I'm sure you fixed that  ;)

If you havn't fully spooled the reel yet, it might be interesting to compare actual drag numbers with those on the scale there..maybe at nearly empty, half and full.

I am sure this reel will fish as it is.  The relatively large diameter of the main gear set, gives this beast a pretty powerfull low gear retrieval.
Hope springs eternal

broadway

Daron,
   Those gears look like pretty nice chunks of SS... I'm happy you got the issues resolved and glad to see the seller bucked up.
Enjoy that bad boy and I look forward to seeing the beasts you catch with it.
Good job bro,
Dom

Reel 224

Daron: Good luck with the God Father, it really looks great.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Shark Hunter

Thanks Aiala, Joe and Dom. ;D
John,
I greased the heck out of everything. I will repack those bearings when I figure out how to take them apart. They are packed with what appears to be some type of lithium grease for now.
Where a retaining ring is usually located is not there. They seem to be segmented all around on both sides. I'll talk to Paolo about this, but I'm pretty sure they are sealed.
I didn't want to risk damaging them with no replacements.
Life is Good!

thorhammer

Daron,

Nice work, glad you were made whole on the parts. Those guts look like a drive shaft and rear end from an International Scout...if I recall you got another trip coming; hope you get it up and running in time to burn her in. What are you gonna spool up with?

BTW....the Monofil Definitely looks like a cheezit aout to be ett by the Godfather lol

John